Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
fafefdsagrae
My Device: Curve 9360

Efficient way to lock keypad of Curve 9360

Dear community,

My phone keeps emailing and calling random people from my contacts, because I am carrying it in my back pocket.

The phone is very easily unlocked accidentally as the unlock button sits on top of it, sticking out of the holster.

I have even tried placing it upward down into the holster but it still easily unlocks through the holster.

What is the most efficient way to keep the the device locked for back pocket storage? I could set up a password, but as the number of bad password inputs is obviously limited, I also do not want to have accidental password input.

Is there a way to deactivate the unlock button on top and use a key combination instead? Or anything else?

Thanks and best regards,

Peter

Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve

Re: Efficient way to lock keypad of Curve 9360

Hi fafedsagrae

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

You can try any phone lock application and you can find it on BlackBerry App World .There are paid as well as free application available you can try that ,  BlackBerry App World 

So try the one that suits you.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor
fafefdsagrae

Hi prince2012,

Thanks for the response...
So there is no built-in way improve the useless keypad lock? :smileysad:

I am not even sure whether I am permitted to install apps on the device, since it is not my private one....

No idea why anyone designs a keypad lock like this... and why it goes through all product reviews prior to production :/

Thanks anyway
Peter
Elite II
prince2012

Hi fafedsagrae

If you don't like that then the best option is to set a password for your device . 

KB00588 : Password security for the BlackBerry smartphone.

Because thats the best way  to lock your keypads.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor
fafefdsagrae

I know that I can set up a password, but as I said above, I do not want to do so, because if my back is able to send emails and call people, it is certainly able to enter a bad password ten times. Which would be bad, according to the link you posted:

"Important: If a password in typed incorrectly ten consecutive times, all of the information on the BlackBerry smartphone is automatically deleted. This is a security feature."

Strange enough, there does not seem to be a out-of-the-box solution...

Thanks for your suggestions anyway

Peter

Elite II
prince2012

Hi fafefdsagrae

First I suggested you to use any lock application which you disagree or able to use it and even you don't want to use the password feature.The device has a inbuilt lock which also doesn't suits you so I am also confused what else should I offer .:smileysad:

New Contributor
fafefdsagrae

Sorry, of course this is not your fault, there's nothing more you can offer.

I am just a bit disappointed what my device offers.
In my eyes, unlocking a keyboard just with a short press of the hugest button on the device, sitting right on top of the device is bad product design.

I'd love to use a password to unlock, but not if it allows my butt to wipe my blackberry. :smileysad:

Never mind, thanks for your thoughts....

Elite II
prince2012

Hi fafefdsagrae

Having a password on our device is not a bad idea and also if we use simple password like abcd etc some user face the problem because they use mixture of different characters and they do mistake while entering those character on BlackBerry Keyboard .Supose you set a password : fafe123  

And if you enter f  > a  > f  > e >  alt > > 3 then actual result will be  fafe1er 

But You must enter  f > a  > f > e > alt > 1 > alt > 2 > alt > 3 then it will be fafe123 .

So its the user fault which lead to device wipe .I personally prefer you should keep a simple password and you will never face the problem or just make sure what character you are entering on your device.

I hope that helps.

New Contributor
fafefdsagrae

I think we have a misunderstanding here ;-)

I am not frightened of user error (i.e. me typing the password wrong).

But if it is not my thumb  typing the PW, but my back, while the phone is in my back pocket and I am riding the bike, it will definitely fail to enter the password correctly ;-)

Elite II
prince2012

Dear peter

Attending to a phone Calls while riding a bike is not a good idea :smileywink: