Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
clydefrog
My Device: Not Specified

Email via wifi on the 8900

So I have an 8900 curve that is unlocked (T-mobile branded phone with a prepaid O2-Tchibo card for service).  As a result I cant use a data plan for email - well, I can, but since I don't want to burn an ungodly amount of minutes via prepaid service, I would much rather just use my free wifi when I'm at home to check my email quickly instead of having to hop on my laptop.

I can install Windows Live Mail on my phone but the icon does not show up on the home screen.  I've read in other forums that you need to have a data plan to use Live Mail though.  Is there anyway to use Hotmail or any other 3rd party email (Gmail, Yahoo mail, etc) if you don't have a data plan?  I would imagine there should be some way to connect to these services via wifi just like a laptop does. 

For now, I simply use the web based version of hotmail through the blackberry broswer, but it pretty much sucks that way (especially since there is a bug where you type and everything is on one line.  Hopefully there is a better solution - even if it means having to create a new email account other than my regular hotmail one.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,843
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Email via wifi on the 8900

No, you canNOT use the RIM push email features withOUT a BlackBerry Data Plan. You won't be able use any of the BlackBerry enabled services or functions with no data plan.

Without the Data Plan , you basically have crippled the device to a phone with great PDA functions and you can use the Hotspot browser, for internet surfing. That's about it.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
clydefrog

I don't think I've crippled the phone by not opting to waste money on a data plan - the phone came crippled since it requires a data plan to be useful.

I apparently just got a phone that won't work for me - should have opted for a smart phone running Windows Mobile since they're capable of WIFI email via Windows Live Mail, Hotmail, etc or a hundred other email applications for FREE.  I was under the impression that blackberry had that capability too - didn't realize RIM was so proprietary.

Same for using GPS.  You have to use a data plan to get maps? - what a pirate scam.  Any phone running Windows Mobile OS allows you to install TOMTOM or other 3rd party gps apps with preloaded maps on sd cards that can be updated via the internet for the low price of .....FREE!.  I really thought blackberry had this option too.  

The only reason I went for the curve is because of all the great reviews, size, and look with the wifi and GPS features.  Too bad those features only work if you're willing to shell out at least $30 more a month for a data plan with low bandwidth capability.  

Why would anyone want to pay their provider for services like email and GPS that are basically free if they could (and they can) be incorporated with WIFI?  I know WIFIi isn't everywhere yet so there are lots of cold spots.  However, there are enough of them around to check email here and there and GPS can be run 100% from the phone so I just don't see the hoorah about Blackberry anymore.

I'm not willing to get ripped each month for stuff that can be obtained for free.  I'll be switching to some other phone I guess.  Thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jurgen_oscar

Hello Guys,

I am also feel a bit cheated, since any other phones that come with WIFI will

be able to RUN Free applications.

Is there any BlackBerry people that can confirm this?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Jurgen 

Please use plain text.
JSanders

clydefrog wrote:

I was under the impression that blackberry had that capability too - didn't realize RIM was so proprietary.

No, any bit of research ahead of time would have been wise in determining this. RIM built its reputation on push email (WinMo doesn't have it) and it works. And works well. I don't think RIM or your carrier would be wise to be giving away that farm for free.

clydefrog wrote:

Same for using GPS.  You have to use a data plan to get maps? - what a pirate scam.  Any phone running Windows Mobile OS allows you to install TOMTOM or other 3rd party gps apps with preloaded maps on sd cards that can be updated via the internet for the low price of .....FREE!.  I really thought blackberry had this option too.  

No, and It has been discussed. You have other options, should you choose to explore them.

Overall with the discontent you display for RIM anyway, I do believe another device would be your best choice. Get the Winmo device that best fits your lifestyle.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
JSanders

jurgen_oscar wrote:

Hello Guys,

I am also feel a bit cheated, since any other phones that come with WIFI will

be able to RUN Free applications.

Is there any BlackBerry people that can confirm this?

Thanks.

Cheers,

Jurgen 

Could state your exact question? Confirm what?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jurgen_oscar

Hello JSanders,

Let me re-phrase my question.

The Fact of my BB Curve 8900:

-. Subscribe with NO BB DATA PLAN

-. WiFi is ON

-. connection is : "gprs" (small caps)

Non-working application (installed via OTA):

-. Google Sync

-. Google Maps

-. Facebook

-. Google Apps

Working Application:

-. Web Browsing is Available.

-. Installed Time and Newsweek shortcuts, both work fine. 

Can RIM confirm :

1. Without DATA PLAN subscribed to the provider, those applications might not work, though the Wifi is TURNED ON?

2. Is there any catch in this? Why does the provider never explain beforehand?

If only I am told that the DATA PLAN is a MUST (for running those applications) in the beginning,

then I will reconsider before buying it. But no explanation from the provider. Strange.

I probably a bit naive, thinking that I already get enough information.

Appreciate your reply.

Thanks a lot.

Cheers,

Jurgen 

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Yes you will need the BlackBerry Data Plan for all of those, I believe, to work.

Because you will be transmitting data.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jurgen_oscar

I am sure I should be given the option to transmit data via gprs/edge OR via WiFi,

but it seems like RIM does not allow us to have that option. 

Please use plain text.
JSanders

jurgen_oscar wrote:

I am sure I should be given the option to transmit data via gprs/edge OR via WiFi,

but it seems like RIM does not allow us to have that option. 

No data will transmit over "gprs" or "edge", you must have "GPRS" or "EDGE", all caps.

And for several of the Google apps, you must have a service book to enable the application. I am not clear which (like Google Maps might work on WiFi, but Google Apps  or FaceBook won't.

And, I don't recall any options for that, other than to turn off WiFi and use only the gprs (but that won't transmit data).

Try it and let us know?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.