Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Email via wifi on the 8900

[ Edited ]

Vizkids,

I'm having the exact same issue.  If you're using the hotspot browser (not the Internet browser) you should be using wifi only.  If you have both browsers available, make sure you set always use "hotspot".  then you should only be able to connect to the Internet when you've connected to an open wifi access point (home router, McDonald's, Starbucks, your dumb neighbors unsecured router, etc.) You can verify this by taking out your sim and while continuing to browser the Internet via wifi.

There are several settings on the phone that use data featuers that need to be turned off as well to prevent the phone from trying to use data resources.

1) The phone's time - change source from Blackberry to "None" or phone.  You don't want it trying to synch time with some blacberry server

2) TCP/IP - turn off APN and delete anything there (you might want to write those down first though in case you ever want to put them back)

3) Application Security Settings - change CONNECTIONS defaults to deny all "phone" "Internet" "location".  Apply defaults to all apps

***NOTE*** some of your apps may not work correctly after you do that.   You can turn those settings on for those specific apps again, but you might start seeing data charges again.

4) Check for any suspect service books and delete them.  (You should back up your current service books through desktop manager first though in case you actually need it)

5) keep in mind that some apps are only designed to be used with DATA plans and absolutely will not work with wifi because they were not designed to (google maps, bb maps, certain radio station apps etc).  If you have them installed, they may be trying to access data even if you don't have a data service configured.  If you have those apps installed and only want to use wifi, you should delete those and find an alternative apps (logicmail is a great one for email that let you synch with gmail, hotmail, yahoo mail, etc). Mobile GMAPS works via wifi if you want, but it also supports offline maps stored on your SD card.  You can get the maps via tools like mapcaher (google it) but in my opinion it's not the greatest solution.  However, it's better than paying for data or having nothing at all.  GPS should be free (well maybe not the application, but you shouldn't have to pay to use GPS - ever heard of TomTom or Navigon?  Seems to work for their mobile devices, just no support on the blackberry).  

6) Some apps let you choose DATA, wifi or both.  Check the settings of each of those and ensure that always use wifi is the selected option

I've done all of these things and wifi is working for me (even with the SIM inserted).  

*****HOWEVER, I'm still losing money to data charges several times a day for some reason despite not having BES or BIS, not having a data plan, and not having any APN settings configured.  I'll even after I do a battery pull from time to time to make sure that all apps have been closed.  When I restart the phone, I still lose money though when not using it.  I'll pull the battery, turn the phone on, wait about an hour without using it at all (no calls, sms, email, wifi or otherwise - nothing) and then check my balance - only to find that 9, 18, or 27 cents will have magically disappeared. 

There is still some kind of data connection running in the background and I can't figure it out!  Anyone out there know why this is?  How can this be?

Message Edited by clydefrog on 04-19-2009 04:01 AM
Message Edited by clydefrog on 04-19-2009 04:05 AM
Message Edited by clydefrog on 04-19-2009 04:12 AM
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Well, we are  cheated. I purschased the phone prepaid at the T-Mobile store for 380 euro. They didn't gave me information that RIM was so strict and that the phone required a dataplan. Instead they just give me my phone and asks for money and that was it. Three weeks later, boom my phone was broken and had to let it be repaired well I was about to sell it. Three weeks later luckily I got a new model and used it for a few weeks. But now I am going to sell it again. On a phone with WiFi you expect you can use applications just like on the other phones (iPhone, Windows Mobile Phones, Google Android phones). But no I cannot, and when running a internet application via WiFi I still pay costs to my provider.

It seems all the BlackBerry is worth for as prepaid user is trashing it and let it be repaired, since the RIM repair service is the only good thing about the phone, beside the build and design of the phone. But the operating system and services are pure trash for prepaid users. Going to sell this phone as fast as I can. And at least I know now, to never get a BlackBerry device EVER, and will never recommend to anyone I know.

Oh and btw. whats the use of navigation software if you need a blackberry dataplan Lawl. What if your in the middle of the jungle, all it can do is show were you are without the map loaded hahaha. Well on other phones they have navigation software with maps that come preloaded on the phone itself and not on some internet server.

[please keep it courteous]

Message Edited by dany_s on 09-26-2009 08:21 PM
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8900

I have recently gone from a Sony Ericcson without a Data Plan of any kind.. just myfaves and unlimited texting. And switched to the 8900. Now when I switch I was able to set up an email account, write emails, recieve emails, use the Ap World ap, use the facebook ap, and web browse by using my Wi-Fi at my house.

Now, how is this happening if I absoultely NEED a blackberry data plan in order for these above aps to work?

To answer your question, yes email works on the 8900 through wifi.. dont ask me how, i just popped in my sim card and got everything i expected to get when switching to a blackberry.

- David J. Nielsen
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900

Windows Mobile hase their mobile outlook express for push mail

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900

But data can be transmitted by the use of wifi