Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
jonsprenke
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: t-mobile

Emergency Alert system test messages waking me up in the middle of the night

I got an emergency alert message this morning (2:30 AM Pacific time) which totaly sucks.

Subject was:  Channel:  Monthly Test Alert Message

From reading other forums , I know this must be a bug with the OS.  I have been getting these same test message on and off over the past few weeks.

Blackberry needs to issue a fix.  I have to keep my phone on because I use my phone as a pager.

I know RIMM is almost bankrupt but come on guys, you gotta get this fixed.

Regards

Please use plain text.
Contributor
upset
My Device: Curve 9630
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Emergency Alert system test messages waking me up in the middle of the night

None of us are coming up with any solution.  I've been the same alerts 4-5 times per day for a couple of months.  Since Sandy hit the east coast the message starts out: Go indoors immediately.  I've been to my T-Mobile store where I bought the phone and they tried everything they could think of.  I've tried what was suggested by others and what RIM has stated about disabling the message, but all to no avail.  Disabling message alerts in the Options doesn't do it.

If you come up with anything let us know. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jonsprenke

Re: Emergency Alert system test messages waking me up in the middle of the night

It is pretty clear the only people who can fix this is RIMM OS Development.  The OS has to be updated to block test messages as there is no way to specifically block the test messages.

Verizon is telling customers this:

Why did I receive a test Wireless Emergency Alert?

Participating carriers are required to support monthly test alerts of the Integrated Public Alert and Warning System (IPAWS) system. Only specific persons within the carrier’s network employees, or within specific emergency response agencies should receive these alerts. 

If you are receiving test alerts, we thank you for your patience. The manufacturer of your device will soon release a silent, over the air fix to prevent further receipt of test alerts.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/faqs/Wireless%20Service/emergency_alerts_faq.html

Please use plain text.
Contributor
upset
My Device: Curve 9630
My Carrier: T-Mobile

the message from T-Mobile is coming through mutliple times every day, not monthly and it only has 2-3 words then Greek letters, numbers and symbols.  There has to be a way to stop this.  Maybe Verizon is working on a solution, how about RIM? and how soon?  The message somethimes start at 7am.They are worse than robo callers who get through the do not call system!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jonsprenke

this thing is owned by the FCC and FEMA jointly. It appears any joker can get access to the network and send these test messages.

I would recommend at  least complaining to them.  I am going to.

http://www.fema.gov/commercial-mobile-alert-system

the reason its is so hard to block is because it is based on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_Broadcast

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jonsprenke

Filed an FCC complaint here:

http://www.fcc.gov/complaints

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jonsprenke

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/11298/Stop_receiving_cell_broadcast_msgs...

My curve will not allow me to disable "cell broadcast channels", if this was not grayed out, I could stop this test message nonsense.

Will look for a way to hack the phone

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jonsprenke

So my phone will not allow me to disable cell broadcasting which would fix this problem.

it did allow me to disable a language preference for cell broadcasts.  I unchecked "English". and saved it.  

I am hoping somehow this will screw up the test message logic.

Please use plain text.