Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
rickyross
My Device: Not Specified

Emergency calls only

my blackberry wont make calls it keeps saying emergency calls only..i can do everything else receive and send texts, emails and browse the web...i have wiped the phone and reinstalled the software and it still happens..any suggestions? thanks in advance
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
bumblepie
My Device: 8110, 8300, 8800, 8700, 9000

Re: Emergency calls only

So its not saying the device is locked?

Put the sim in another device, blackberry or not and see if you can make calls.

If you can't, contact your carrier to ensure no call barring exists.

Have u ever been able to make calls?

We need more information in order to troubleshoot mate.

Can another sim make calls from this device etc?

***************************************************************************************************
If your issue is resolved, put a checkmark in the green box that contains the resolution.
OR
If it was just/or also really helpful - Give it a Kudos.. Go on Mate.. Help the rest of the clueless blackberry user world find their answer too..
~Gday from Down Under~
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
bumblepie
My Device: 8110, 8300, 8800, 8700, 9000

Otherwise, heres some info from RIM

Problem

You receive the following error on the BlackBerry device:

Emergency calls only

Cause

There are multiple causes for this problem.

• The BlackBerry device is in emergency mode since it is locked; therefore, you can only place emergency phone calls (for example, 911 or 112).
  • The Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) card was removed from the BlackBerry device; therefore, you can only place emergency phone calls.
  • If you are in a location of insufficient wireless coverage, you can only place emergency phone calls from the BlackBerry device.

Resolution

Cause 1

The BlackBerry device is in emergency mode since it is locked; therefore, you can only place emergency phone calls (for example, 911 or 112).

Resolution

To place an emergency phone call from the locked BlackBerry device, complete the following steps:

1. Click the trackwheel and select Emergency Call.
  2. Select Yes to make an emergency call.

Cause 2

The SIM card was removed from the BlackBerry device; therefore, you can only place emergency phone calls.

Resolution

Correctly insert the SIM card in the BlackBerry device.

Cause 3

If you are in a location of insufficient wireless coverage, you can only place emergency phone calls from the BlackBerry device.

Resolution

To place regular phone calls from the BlackBerry device, return to a location of sufficient wireless coverage.

Note: You can place calls if SOS, GSM, GPRS, or 1X (CDMA) appears below the wireless coverage indicator on the BlackBerry device Home screen.

***************************************************************************************************
If your issue is resolved, put a checkmark in the green box that contains the resolution.
OR
If it was just/or also really helpful - Give it a Kudos.. Go on Mate.. Help the rest of the clueless blackberry user world find their answer too..
~Gday from Down Under~
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
rickyross

o ok....yes when I do take the sim out and put it in another blackberry I am able to make calls....my password was messing up so i had to reset it and it stopped making calls since...
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
deanvinyard

I am having this same problem and I have checked all of the solutions that were posted here out.  My first Blackberry did this same thing.  I took it into a store and somehow they magically made it work.  I just thought if anyone knew how, I might be able to resolve this quickly at home.  This just started today for no apparant reason.

Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums! 

No data will be lost when doing the following: pull the battery while the device is ON.

Replace after a minute, Let the device reboot 1-3 min, see if the problem is fixed,

Thanks  

Message Edited by Bifocals on 11-09-2008 06:29 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
deanvinyard

Unfortunately this did not work.  I just tried it.  It is so strange.  I get text, emails and voice mail notifications.  It just won't place calls.  I pulled the SIM card and tried it in another phone and it worked.  I wiped the device and started over and still nothing.  I am pulling my hair out.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi,

Go to CONNECTIONS/MOBILE DATA SERVICES menu key, select DIAGNOSTICS TEST, run the test.

If everything looks normal, try turning all connections off, then back on. If not resolved, back to

the carrier, and watch exactly what he does.

Let us know, because we could use it for reference.

Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
azzam1
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: MTS

I have the same issue and it started only 3 days ago?? Is there any solution out there :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
JValiant65
My Device: q5
My Carrier: bell mobility

OMG! this just happened to me a few days ago. I just powered off my phone for a minute and turned it back on- Presto- it worked!  I hope it's a simple solution for you too.

Please use plain text.