Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9220
My Carrier: -
Accepted Solution

Encrypted Micro SD Security Question

Good day everyone!

My beloved BB was recently nicked. Most of the files on the SD card are encrypted.

I understand/assume the encryption will prevent them from accessing the files when the card is mounted to a desktop or laptop. BUT what if they removed the SD card first then wiped the BB?

Shoudl they re-insert the SD card, will that allow them to view the contents since it's the same phone? And the phone is no longer locked (post-wipe)?

Thanks!

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2582), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Encrypted Micro SD Security Question

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Refer:

• KB25484Expectations when encryption is enabled for a media card in a BlackBerry smartphone

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks for replying sdgardne!

So simply put: they should not be able to access it correct?

Unfortunately, even if I were able to retrieve the phone, if the device had been wiped, even with the sd card's files intact, I still would not be able to access these, correct?
Hall of Famer II

If you used the encryption method that is documented in the KB, then that indeed is how I would interpret the expected results.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Thanks a lot sdgardne!
Hall of Famer II

You are welcome.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates