Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
Rayslade
My Device: Blackberry Curve OS6 9300 3G
My Carrier: Cell C

Error Encrypting Header (jpg.REM files)

Hi, I am I urgent need of help as I don't know what to do...

My problem is with my Blackberry 3G 9300...

Most of my pictures cannot be opened... the ones that cannot be opened have a file extention ending in .rem

(for example IMG10122012.jpg.rem)

I don't ever connect my phone to a PC or any other device...

I have been told that it is a cause of encryption. I have since then put the encryption off but nothing seems to work...

I even created new folders directly on device to try and transfer from Media Card to Device but this message appears:

'error decrypting header'

If I put the encryption back on and try to rename nothing happens... nothing I do will convert my pictures back to its orginal format ( .jpg)...

I have over 2000 pictures and very important to me so if anyone can please assist I would really appreciate it!!

thanks so much!! :-)
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,893
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Error Encrypting Header (jpg.REM files)

Have you upgraded the device OS or anything since moving and restoring those pictures with the .rem?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Rayslade

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Nope I have not done any OS upgrades at all.

Trying to open the file just says: file cannot be displayed.

With encryption off - I cannot move to a new folder or rename the .rem file extention as this is the message:

'Error DEcrypting Header'

What I have noticed is:

With encryption on - I can only move the .rem files to a new folder or existing folder on Memory Card not Device BUT this is the message I get...

'Are you sure you want to move this file as it is a read only file'.

If I say YES and move it, it doesn't change anything, not even renaming first or after moving does it help.

Trying to move to device still gives the 'Error DEcrypting Header' error whether encryption is on or off for the device.

I hope this might give you some more info to try and help me because I am clueless now to what I can do.

Also could you tell me why when I am able to move to a new or existing folder on the Memory Card or rename does it say the file is a 'read only'....

What I am totally confused is I have so many pics which where all stored on the memory card yet only half of the pics on there have the file extention .rem and half don't. Some pics that are ending in .rem are very old pics and some brand new pics. Its almost to say 1,2 skip a few encrypt.

Its so odd because the files are all the correct size still when I check the properties so the pics are still there its just a case of trying to open them.

Thanks for your previous response just hope you have some Miracle idea...

Ray
Please use plain text.
JSanders

I guess this was not all that urgent.

Rayslade wrote:

What I am totally confused is I have so many pics which where all stored on the memory card yet only half of the pics on there have the file extention .rem and half don't. Some pics that are ending in .rem are very old pics and some brand new pics. Its almost to say 1,2 skip a few encrypt.

Its so odd because the files are all the correct size still when I check the properties so the pics are still there its just a case of trying to open them.

There's got to be some explanation for this. You've ever had a previous BlackBerry device?

Do you recall ANY time in the past enabling this encryption and/or turning it off?

There is NO way to remove the ".rem" other than turning off the encryption to the media card files. There just isn't.

Do this, look at Options > Security > Security Information. What do you see on this screen?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Rayslade

Hi,

Thanks for you response.

I had previously had a Blackberry 8520 but sold it with its memory card.

Since I have had this Blackberry I have only used the memory card that came with the phone.

After my sisters had some personal documents on her memory card and the memory card was stolen from her office she was advised in future she should put encryption on because if it was no other device can access it.

Hearing this I put my encryption on. Everything was ok until everytime I put my phone on, after the security verication line completes its process my phone used to bring the clock up for very long. So I thought it could maybe be the encryption so I switched it off thinking it would possibly be that.

Even if I put encryption on and then off or left it on or left it off why are the ones that are .rem not been able to be viewed?

Ok If I go into Options > Security > Security Information...

Under 'Services' its lists 2 of my email addresses I have on my phone.

Under 'Security Information' is says:

Secure GC enabled
Please use plain text.
JSanders

OK, so you have switched encryption on and off.

Yes, if you turn off encryption, it should remove the REM file encryption, unless of course you have actually upgraded the OS at some point on this 9300 then it won't.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Rayslade

Yes I put encryption off.

Some pics end in .jpg

Some pics end in .jpg.rem

Pics ending .jpg - perfect

Pics ending jpg.rem - error

Even when the file extentions are ending in jpg.rem when encryption is on, am I not correct by saying that the pictures are still meant to be viewable on my device because its the same device which encrypted the files yet only decrypts about half.

At the moment I have encryption off, yet half are still .rem and are not viewable, renameable, moveable, or able to be forwarded by email, mms, uploaded to social media ect.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Rayslade wrote:

Even when the file extentions are ending in jpg.rem when encryption is on, am I not correct by saying that the pictures are still meant to be viewable on my device because its the same device which encrypted the files yet only decrypts about half.

Yes, all that is correct, I understand. '

I just feel there must have been some OS upgrade on the device somewhere in the interim of this.

Otherwise, I just don't any other workaround.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Rayslade

Thanks for your help...

Thinking I may just have to take my phone into somewhere to have it checked...

I haven't taken my phone for any OS upgrades at all...

Don't know but would this help...

BlackBerry® 9300
smartphone (3G, Wi-Fi)
6.0 Bundle 2534 (v6.0.0.570, Platform 6.6.0.212)
3G Bands 1,4,8
Cryptographic Kernel v3.8.6.5
Branding Version: 1.0.173.554o
Micro Edition Configuration: CLDC-1.1
Micro Edition Profile: MIDP-2.1
Micro Edition JTWI Version: 1.0
Micro Edition Media Version: 1.1
Micro Edition PIM Version: 1.0
Micro Edition File Version: 1.0
Micro Edition Bluetooth Version: 1.1
Micro Edition Location Version: 1.0.1
Micro Edition Security and Trust Services (APDU) Version: 1.0
WLAN Version: 4.3.0.82
Please use plain text.
K_MJames
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: T-mobile (EE)

OK, ive followed very closely on all your above a suggestions as O have the same problem. I may have updated my OS. If this is the case, would I be able to convert my files back to jpeg from REM by simply trying to revert my OS and then carry out the forementioned suggestions?
Please use plain text.