Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Faulty Trackball

My trackball is faulty since a month or so. I cannot scroll down and sometimes I cannot scroll right, the other two directions work just fine! Any advice, tips...?

Thank you

Cris

Solutions: 6,135
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Faulty Trackball

Press FIRMLY on the trackball and scroll it in the direction to which it does not want to move. This should free it of any dust or lint gathered.

Additionally, you can use an alcohol towelette and rub the trackball to clean it. That might help free additional dust.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks. I have tried those techniques and they dont seem to work :smileysad: The trackball does scroll in all direction (physically rotates) but it is just that the phone does not sense it rotating downwards. When i scroll downwards the ball does not feel to grip (it feel like its more lubricated than in the other directions). Also, i have managed to scroll down once or twice by pressing it lightly (not hard enough for it to select something) while rotating it.

Thanks again

Cris

Regular Contributor
My Device: bold9700
My Carrier: airtel

Hi,

I saw it in one of the videos on youtube.

Your trackball might not be workin prply maybe coz it has accumulated lot of dust.

You can clean it by rubbing your trackball against a sheet of paper or maybe on a book page gently for a while and then use it.

Hope this solves your issue.

Thanks,

Rohit

New Contributor

Hi

Thanks again, I tried this and did some more, but its not helping !

Should I bring this up with my mobile phone company? How much would it cost to fix?

Regards

Cris

New Contributor

I think I am best getting it repaired. I assume this is repairable by replacing the trackball... Does anyone know the price, and how to best go about this in London or Amsterdam?

Thanks

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset
My Carrier: Rogers

You may be able to replace the trackball itself, it was significantly easier with older curves, as for pricing for repairs, I would recommend calling each location.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900

This may sound dumb, but I had the same problem.  No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to move until I removed the batter and reloaded the phone. haven't had a problem since.

Hope this helps

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: o2

I bought a new RED trackball off ebay for £3 off ebay as had same problem. I have a tool kit for repairing laptops as you will need a small star type screw driver. T5 or 6 I recall. These will cost you more than the track ball. Its a pretty easy job if you are confident taking the chassis apart.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RED-BLACKBERRY-TRACKBALL-BOLD-9000-8900-CURVE-/120625226018?pt=UK_Mobiles_Acce...

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset
My Carrier: Rogers

Just keep in mind that this typically voids your carriers warranty, so dont do it if your still covered.

Aside from that. ya giver!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter