Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
jjjaplenos
My Device: 9220

First Time Blackberry user

Hi! This is my first time to post here. I have been using my 9220 for 2 days now and I would just like to ask a few questions about it.

1. I recently updated the OS to the most updated one using BB Desktop Software. It got stuck at 100% and after like 2hours it continued with the update. Is there any way to check if the OS has been updated properly in the phone? The BB Desktop Software shows that the OS in my phone is already updated.

2. I want to check the CPU usage of my phone. Can you recommend an app for me that works best for the job? App that doesnt do any damage on the phone. I read this one site about a battery booster app but some guy said that it might have ruined his battery after uninstalling it on his phone.

3. Lastly, If you have a Windows computer you can actually change the welcome sound windows is starting up. Is there a way to put a sound or like a audio greeting when turning the phone ON?

Thanks so much in advance. Hoping for some porsiteve and even negative comment/feedback/reply. :smileyhappy:

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: First Time Blackberry user

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

jjjaplenos wrote:

1. I recently updated the OS to the most updated one using BB Desktop Software. It got stuck at 100% and after like 2hours it continued with the update. Is there any way to check if the OS has been updated properly in the phone? The BB Desktop Software shows that the OS in my phone is already updated.

You can check the OS your BB is actually running via this:

• KB23393 How to check the model number and version of installed BlackBerry device software on a BlackBerry smartphone

But, the answer to the other half of the question (what is the latest OS to be running) is a bit more complicated. And it starts with the official OS Download Portal:

Since they are responsible for all support, release of the OS is controlled by each carrier to their end users. So, to answer the question regarding your specific carrier is relatively easy...you navigate the portal to your carrier and compare the various OS levels that they presently support for your specific model number BB.

But, some carriers are slower than others to release newer OS's...and therefore "the newest" might not actually be released by your carrier yet. Hence, to truly find the overall "newest", you must dig through the portal to find all carriers that support your specific model number BB...and then compare the OS levels that each supports.

You are not restricted to using your carriers OS levels...with the proper tricks, you can use any OS package from any carrier, as long as it's for your exact same model number BB.

jjjaplenos wrote:

2. I want to check the CPU usage of my phone. Can you recommend an app for me that works best for the job? App that doesnt do any damage on the phone. I read this one site about a battery booster app but some guy said that it might have ruined his battery after uninstalling it on his phone.

Sorry, I've never seen a use for anything beyond what is natively provided (starting in OS 6 I think, definitely in OS 7). But, you might consider asking that question in the Downloaded Apps section of this site:

You of course can also search AppWorld, and read the various reviews.

jjjaplenos wrote:

3. Lastly, If you have a Windows computer you can actually change the welcome sound windows is starting up. Is there a way to put a sound or like a audio greeting when turning the phone ON?

Nope...it does what it does, and what it does is deeply hard-coded into the firmware, untouchable and unchangeable. There might be some add-on app that does something later in the sequence...you'd again need to search AppWorld and/or ask in the Apps section of the forums.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code