Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
kandiegirl1020
My Device: Curve 9330

Freezes non stop! Please help

Hello...I got my Curve 9330 in Oct 2010, it started freezing about 4 months ago, once every few weeks, over time it has gotten worse, so now it freezes every few minutes. Some freezes are "screen shots"  where the time is off by a few minutes like its been frozen about 7 or 8 min and the cursor won't move, and some are freezes with the timer like its waiting on something. It takes me about 30 min to do something (txt, email, facebook, anything) that should be a quick 2-3 min check. I have taken the battery out and that works for about an hour, then it goes back to freezing. I have done shift+alt+del to reset and that works for about an hour. I updated my OS, it stopped for about 3 or 4 days then started back up. I have checked to Application free space, there's 158.6MB. I do use my phone a lot, mostly quick check of things throughout the day. This has really gotten in the way and I don't know how to stop it. Any suggestions?

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,893
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Freezes non stop! Please help

What is your Operating System loaded to your device? Look at Options > About, third line down beginning with a "v.5.0.x.xxx", What is yours?

What third party applications do you have installed to the deivce?

etc.

To prevent freezing or lagging/slow response on any BlackBerry, the most important practice you can adopt is to be sure to CLOSE applications when you are finished using them.

If you just hit the red "end call" key to go back to the home screen the application actually stays open and running in the background. If you do this repeatedly you will have lots of apps open and consequently your memory will get used up. Lack of memory is the biggest reason your BlackBerry slows to a crawl or locks up. If you get into the habit of actually using the menu key to close the applications this will at least slow down this memory-clogging process. You still may have to do a battery pull or use the "Quickpull" app once in a while when things get slow.

To check what applications are running on your device in the background, press the Menu key then choose Switch Applications. You will see the icons of each application there.

So now, check your applications running in the background. There are commonly four or five applications that will always be running (Messages, Call Logs/Phone, BlackBerry Messenger, Homescreen, and the Browser; there are other third party applications such as BeeJive, and BlackBerry Alerts which will also run in the background which you cannot close if you want them to operate). Make certain that the browser is NOT on an active webpage (open the browser and choose Menu > Close). Close any other applications that do not need to be running (the camera or a game you were playing or Google Maps).

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kandiegirl1020

Hey!! Thank you for responding! My current OS is v6.0.0.415.

Also i read the extra you typed and that was very helpful! I do keep Facebook running, but I was not aware Pandora was still running, however I have closed it now and I was about to look up all 3rd party apps, but it has frozen again...

Ok, I have bebuzz. That is the only thing that shows when I go to third party applications. Idk if Facebook or Pandora count. I know I put another app called The Weather Network on here.

Also, when i got to switch application, there are 7 showing...home, messages, FB, bbm, calls, browser, and Pandora. I tried to close Pandora, but it still shows there.

It still freezes constantly while I was looking up this info for you.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,893
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Woot! We're getting there!

Pandora is a BIG resource hog. Really. Any streaming media is.

You need to close Pandora. So try this first off: Do a simple reboot on the BlackBerry in this manner:

With the BlackBerry device POWERED ON, remove the battery for a minute, and then reinsert the battery to reboot. A reboot in this manner is prescirbed for most gltiches and operating system errors, and you will lose no data on the device doing this.

Now, once you reboot, give the BlackBerry five minutes to transfer data and communicate with the network, etc., and Use the Application Switcher to see if Pandora is running still? Is it?

If not, in the future when you are through listening to Pandora, choose Menu key > Close, or Quit or Exit. Don't just drop Pandora to the background.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
kandiegirl1020

Thank you so much! I have ensured Pandora is off and restarting seemed to have helpd a lot! My phone has not frozen since Monday, which is amazing since it was doing it so often. Thank you again for your help! I will keep you posted.
Please use plain text.