Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
MReza
My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: Etisalat, UAE
Accepted Solution

Freezing / Hanging Screen - Curve 8900

Hi, I have a Curve 8900 which has been working just fine since I bought it more than 3 years ago. Just recently the screeen has started to hang and freeze and its driving me nuts !!! The usual routine of taking the battery out while the device is on solves the problem temporarily, but then after a short while the problem comes back....please help.......I have zero apps on the device. I have been storing some pix on the device recently but the the memory card is still showing 75% free space !!!! Many thanks.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Freezing / Hanging Screen - Curve 8900

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

But if the behavior continues in Safe Mode, you may need to consider more drastic remedy attempts (e.g., WIPE, clean OS reload, BBSAK/JLCMDR wipe/reload, etc.).

Also, please be sure that you've got a solid backup in place just in case...see the link in my auto-sig on this post for recommended methods to use.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
MReza

Hi.....thanks for the tip. I've gone into Safe Mode. Will monitor it for a while and come back to you.

Any chance it could be the phone memory ? The memory card is showing 75% space , but i am not sure if the default saving is on to the phone memory itself, and if this is full, its slowing down everything.

Also should I consider upgrading the OS ? Would this help ?

Any tips would be appreciated.  

Many thnaks

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

At an internet distance, any diagnosis provided is purely a guess...without hands on the device, it's up to you to provide information that can make our guesses more accurate. As it stands, all that you propose is possible, as well as other things. All you suggest might help, or it might not. At this point from such limited information, there is nothing certain about any guess...one is just as good as another at this point.

For now, I recommend waiting to see if the problem happens again in Safe Mode...for that will rule in or out your 3rd party apps as the causal item.

The diagnostic process is deductive...ruling things out until there is very little that remains. Right now, everything is possible, so we need to start ruling things out...and that starts with 3rd party apps, and Safe Mode is the method to deduce that.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
MReza

Thanks for your reply.

The Safe Mode seemed to have some positive effect for  a while (a few hours) and it appeared the problem had been lessened, though not totally eradicated. Then disaster struck !!! All of a sudden the screen totally froze and when removing the battery and re-setting, the screen would just go totally white and the device would not restart at all. Infact it would automatically switch off.

Finally I gave up and after a couple of hours I tried again...... the device re-started in normal mode and seems to be working, though the tell-tale signs of  hanging are still there in the background, with the hour glass appearing from time to time......I don't know where this leaves us now........let me know what you suggest next please.  Thanks

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

The first thing I recommend is that you review what I said in my first reply to you above...make sure you've got a solid backup. Given what you describe, your situation may worsen, and data loss is definitely a high risk for you now.

Assuming you are all good in that regard, then I next recommend a full on-device WIPE:

• B14058 How to delete all data and applications from the BlackBerry smartphone using the Security Wipe option

But before doing anything about restoring data or reinstalling apps, make 100% sure that the problem does not re-appear. If it does not, then you can proceed with restore/reinstallation. But, if it does, then more drastic measures are needed, starting with an OS reload.

At the top of each device forum, there should be some "sticky" threads that discuss the OS levels available for many models. If they include your model, then please use those as reference as you proceed. Otherwise, you will have to dig through the official download portal for OS packages for your model:

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try this procedure to perhaps narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
MReza

Hi.....the full on-device WIPE seems to have done the trick !!! Many thanks for that..........I have restored data and all seems to be fine......except my emails seem not be working....even though the icon and restored emails are all there.....nothing is being sent or received....when i set up the email again it works but then i have a situation where the restored data is under one  icon and new emails being received under the newly set up icon.....both having the same email id. Any ideas ? BBM and phone working fine. Thanks

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Excellent! To restore your email services, I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should try deleting and re-adding your BIS configuration for the affected email accounts. Otherwise, you should contact your mobile service provider for formal support.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
MReza

Thanks......all email accounts functioning now....only issue is restored e-mail data (after the WIPE) doesn't appear anywhere....all email accounts effectively starting from scratch....any thoughts ? 

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Not knowing the source you used for restore, I can't really give a useful guess. But, if the data is in the Messages Database (as a result of whatever restore you conducted), then it should appear properly with the data as it was when the backup was taken.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.