Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
theslider2
My Device: curve 9300

Frozen Mailbox, unable find it and delete it.

Hello,

I spent 2 horrible days trying to make my Curve 9300 get mails from a secondary mailbox.

Here is the full story.

On a previous Carrier (Orange), i had the ability to setup 3 or more mail boxes and up untill last week, that's what i had.

It has been a few years now that i changed my Carrier to Free who limits the numbre of mailboxes to 2 but i didn't touch anything so i still had my 3 mailboxes icons sitting there and still recieiving emails.

I got a samsung galaxy tab 2 as a present and proceeded to sync my contacts from my BB to the tab. To do so, i tried to create a new temporary mailbox using gmail i had to replace one of my mailboxes to do so as it didn't allow me to create a new one. I chose the 3rd mailbox (yahoo).

Once i was done, i tried to put yahoo back but i think i messed up as I lost the main mailbox somehow. I don't remember exactly what steps i took but i think i edited the main mailbox settings...

So now i only have 2 mailboxes left, the main one that i can change whenever i want and the second one that seems "locked"  which means i can't even delete or update it and i don't know why ...

Trying to add a new mailbox gives me an error message but deleting the main mailbox and creating it again with any email info works.

I'm ok in loosing the third mailbox but not beeing able to edit the second one is a pain as it doesn't even work anymore.

I tried rebooting the phone (removing the battery) and updating the OS and apps through the desktop software with no success.

Should i reset it to factory settings ? I'd rather not if possible ... I don't have any backups : s

Device info :

Carrier: Free

Model info : curve 9300, last version of OS

I installd all basic apps except for language packs and did try pulling out the battery.

There is no other third party app installd, the phone is only used for my company (calls, sms, mails and sometimes internet ).

Here are two screen caps :

Main menu with the locked mailbox (short email name) selected and the newly created main mailbox on it's right :

Email configuration showing that there is only the main mailbox in there (long email name):

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,957
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Frozen Mailbox, unable find it and delete it.

Have you thought about completely wiping the device and stating over?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
theslider2

It's a solution but as i said i'd rather not do that.

I don't understand what's going on with this frozen mailbox and why it doesn't show up in the menus...

Knowing where to go to remove it would be perfect.
Even if it requires tinkering with the device files through the usb cable (xml edits or such).

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Do you know your BIS account login site URL? You should be able to do so there.

If not, from your BB browser, can you go to www.blackberry.com/integrate

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
theslider2

www.blackberry.com/integrate tells me i have the wrong carrier so i went to free.blackberry.com .

After logging in, i could only see my main email already set up and a single button allowing me to add a new "@free.blackberry.com" I don't want it, i was happy with yahoo.

Isn't there a way to access some advanced options for the mailboxes ?

Why do i keep seeing this frozen mailbox ?

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Yes, the "advanced" edits are under the "modifier" section of that screen.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
theslider2

Hi,

I was referring to some advanced options on the Curve, not the web interface.

The mailbox you see on the web interface works well as i get the emails from it on my curve but i can't set up any other mailbox on the curve unless it's a special "@free.blackberry.com" that can only be created through this web interface whereas before this issue, i had an @yahoo.fr and another company email set up on the curve.

The main issue is that i have "ghost" mailboxes sitting around in the options on the curve and no way to delete them or use them.

-----------------

After tinkering around, i gave up as i couldn't do or find anything that helps. Now i have 2 Ghost mailboxes instead of 1.

I decided to create an "@free.blackberry.com" mailbox just so i could redirect yahoo to it and set up another redirect from my other company mailbox to the main one.

Resetting entirely the curve was not an option and it was by restoring last month's backup after a complete swipe  that didn't work that the second ghost mailbox showed up. This is sickening.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Let me ask a friend of mine to look at this.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

salut theslider2,

I'm the friend JSanders was referring to :smileyhappy:

I will try to help you.

Unfortunately, I am not a FreeMobile subscriber for my 8900 so my configuration is different from yours.

Let me try to sum up your situation (past and present).

in the past, you were an Orange subscriber, and you had a BIS account. With that BIS account, you had three BIS email addresses, and all three behaved as expected :

• your company email "email1"
  • another email "email2"
  • one YahooMail address

You have left Orange France for Free Mobile, with the BlackBerry option.

You now have a BIS account, and the contract allows you to have :

• 1 BIS email address from a third party email provider (Yahoo, GMail or Hotmail, or GMX  for example)
  • 1 BIS carrier-hosted email address (the @free.blackberry.com one, that can only be accessed through your BlackBerry phone)

When you did the switch, even though FreeMobile does not allow it, you had three BIS email addresses from third party, and you were happy with that situation. (this is the important information, I was not aware this is how it works).

That being said, what you wanted was transfer your contacts from your Curve to your Samsung Galaxy Tab, and you wanted to do that through a GMail account.

1. You were not able to add a 3th BIS address, so you edited the Yahoo address, and replaced it by the GMail address. It worked.
  2. You managed to import the contacts to your Samsung tablet.
  3. And after that, you wanted to replace the GMail address by the Yahoo one, but you did not. Instead you deleted one of your three BIS addresses, and after several tries, you end up having :
  • one BIS address that you cannot edit at all (and it does not work anymore either)
  • one BIS address that you can edit as you wish
  • one BIS hosted FreeMobile email address you can add
  • no other BIS address you can add

As far as I know, you have two reasons that bother you:

• there is a ghost email address, that you cannot remove
  • you only can add one BIS email address (not the FreeMobile one)

My opinion:

• I have no solution for the ghost email address, you can simply hide the icon or move it in a folder on your home screen.
  • About the single BIS email address, you have no solution apart from going to another mobile phone operator (I am using B&You for instance, even if I have a freebox v5 at home)

what you can try :

try 1

1. do a backup of your current phone
  2. wipe your device, and restore the backup.

==> with that you can get rid of the ghost email address, so it is better than the current situation

try 2

1. do a backup of your current phone (because you never know...)
  2. use an Orange SIM card, and re-move temporarily your BIS account from FreeMobile to Orange
  3. add all the BIS emails you want
  4. go to FreeMobile again

This solution takes time, involves changing your contract twice. I would not do it if I were you.

I would like to emphasize on your other two solutions:

• leave FreeMobile to go to a carrier that allows more BIS email adresses (Sosh/JoeMobile/B&You)
  • change your phone for a phone that does not use BIS anymore. For example a BlackBerry Q5.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.