Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

GPS "Searching for satellites..." issues on T-Mobile BB Curve 8900

My wife and I have had our 8900s for 6 months.  In all that time, the GPS has worked so sporadically (works MAYBE 5% of the time) that we've given up on them.  I've read every message on almost every forum, including this one.  I was on the phone to T-mobile for over 2 hours - almost an hour of that spent out on my patio in 105 degree heat!!!  After going over every possible setting and rebooting many times, the girl ended up telling me that it must be because the trees in my yard were blocking the signal.  Her only suggestion - call RIM.  What have I learned?

1. I can't use my GPS indoors to plan a trip. (roof and walls block signal)

2. I can't use my GPS in the van to get to a location. (metal body blocks signal)

3. I can't use my GPS in a city to find an address. (tall buildings block signal)

4. I can't use my GPS in the mountains to keep from getting lost. (mountains and trees block signal)

5. If I'm in an open field, GPS finds signal about 5% of the time.

6. I can't find phone support for us peons.

My brother, daughter, nephew, and anyone - make that everyone - else that has a phone other than an 8900 can get a signal sitting right next to me.  My phone: "Searching for satellites..."

If one more person tells me I have to be "in the open" to use my GPS, I'll throttle them!!!  However, if you have a constructive suggestion, I'm all ears.  And before you ask, I have an unlimited data plan, and I've tried with Location Aiding both Endabled and Disabled.

Thank you,

A Frustrated MdniteRyder

Solutions: 6,094
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: GPS "Searching for satellites..." issues on T-Mobile BB Curve 8900

1. It matters not that you have the data plan. That's good for a mapping application, but for GPS to simply lock you onto your satellites, you don't need it.

2. **unsaid instructions you already know**  Go to Options > Advanced > GPS and press Menu > Refresh GPS. Do that several times in a row if needed, 5-10 minutes each time, waiting until it either succeeds or fails.

3. Anytime you travel a great distance (like by air) you will need to fresh the satellites again, as the GPS works from what is known as the ephemeral tables which must download to the device when locating the satellites, and varies according to your location.

Good luck

Oh, and if you come back to tell me you've done all this, I don't know that. All I can do is judge from your post above, which don't outline your exact procedures.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Rogers BB 8800 (Still kicking)

Hi,

If another Blackberry next to you can lock onto several satelites and you cannot the problem most likely is with the BB GPS radio.

It definitely does not work indoors. In the car and other outdoor places should work without a problem. Go outdoors and run the GPS test from:

Options -> Status -> type test

If you still have issues call the carrier and exchange the unit before the warranty expires.

Peace,

BBTechSupport

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to CLICK that BLACK or GRAY Kudos square if some one was helpful.
Also please mark it as a solution if your problem is solved.
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  Regardless of whether the girl at T-Mobile had me do something, I'm willing to do it again.  I followed your "unsaid instructions" numerous times, and get the same results every time - ziltch.  I suspect (since it works sometimes) that I may have a hardware issue between the GPS radio and its antenna.  If that's possible.  I know about radios, but am very sketchy when it comes to miniaturized mega high frequency stuff.
New Contributor

Thanks for replying to my dilemma.  I tried to follow your directions, (Options-> Status-> type test).....but there's nowhere to type anything.  Status gives me the status of my phone and pressing the BB button gives me the choices: Database Sizes; Copy; Switch Application; Close.  I'm beginning to think that your last suggestion is my best (only) option.

Thanks again,

Steve

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Rogers BB 8800 (Still kicking)

Hi,

Just type test anywhere in the window. Nothing will type but something will trigger

Peace,

BBTechSupport

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't forget to CLICK that BLACK or GRAY Kudos square if some one was helpful.
Also please mark it as a solution if your problem is solved.
Solutions: 6,094
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

How old is your device... how long have you had it?

If none of the above works, and If within the warranty period, return it for another.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

bbtechsupport...:smileyvery-happy:  I bow to the BB Jedi Master! I ran the test and fix.  Not only did it succeed, but now my GPS works EVERY TIME and finds itself in seconds.  I couldn't be happier.  Thank you!

For the others who tried to help, thank you, too.  I appreciate the patience and helpfulness exhibited on this board.

Thanks again,

Steve

A Very Happy 8900 Owner

My Device: Blackberry curve 8900

I have the same issue with my T-Mobile Blackberry curve 8900. Impossible to find any satellite. I did this Option-Status-test and discovered this special screen. However it is asking me to select in the menu the ' repair' option. I can not find this. Only thing I could do was to click the track ball in this ' test' screen and select 'gps connection' It seems that the device started searching for satellite but result was a time out. Can you please tell me what is this ' repair mode ' that the test screen is asking me to select. Thanks a lot.
New Contributor

bbtechsupport is the expert on this.  If bbtechsupport doesn't reply to you in this thread, try contacting them.  The fix suggested worked like a charm, for me.