Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
reallyfedup
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Vodafone

HELP - Charger port broken on 4 month old 8520

Really really fed up can anyone pls advise me??

Took out a 24 month contract on vodafone in May this year with a curve 8520. When phone was charged I unplugged the charging cable and the port came out on the end of the cable (apparently a common fault with this model)

I returned the phone to Vodafone and they sent it away to be checked out, only to inform me that because I didn't take out insurance I am liable as they class it as physical damage. The phone should still be covered by a 1 year manufacturers warranty but nobody is interested in repairing or replacing it - What do I do now? Has anyone else had this issue and got it fixed?? How do I get Blackberry to look at it? The warranty is with them so Vodafone won't help.

Anyone???????????????

:Helpsmilie:

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: HELP - Charger port broken on 4 month old 8520

Hi there!

Just to clarify, the manufacturers warranty is indeed provided by the manufacturer. But, all servicing of that warranty is via the carriers and authorized resellers. Hence, your escalation path remains with Vodafone...escalate with them and challenge their determination, if you truly feel you have cause.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
reallyfedup

just dealt with very rude cust service manager with Vodafone who refused point blank to take up this issue saying go to Blackberry it's their warranty that will solve this issue. What to do now!!
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
Grenouille
My Device: Blackberry 8520

I imagine blackberry have determined this is caused by the user rather than faulty parts or a manufacturing issue.  See if vodafone can provide you with copy of a report by the blackberry engineer stating why he has reached this conclusion.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

reallyfedup wrote:
just dealt with very rude cust service manager with Vodafone who refused point blank to take up this issue saying go to Blackberry it's their warranty that will solve this issue. What to do now!!

If you bought the BB from them, then that person is completely wrong. Escalate to that persons manager. See this:

Now, I didn't catch what country you are in, so I'm not sure if that exact warranty applies. But, the "Solution Provider" discussed in the warranty document refers to the carriers and authorized resellers. They indeed are the warranty service providers, responsible for honoring RIM's manufacturers warranty.

Now, that all said, if you did not purchase your BB from them, then they would not be the servicer of your warranty coverage.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
reallyfedup

Hi I am in the UK and handset came from Vodafone not BB directly. They are both fobbing me off, I ahve 18 months left on a contract with no phone as I cannot even charge the blooming thing grrrrr

The Vodafone cust services manager simply shouted me down and said they won't do anything more for me. Mega fed up now!
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

reallyfedup wrote:
Hi I am in the UK and handset came from Vodafone not BB directly.

OK...then a different warranty document would apply...but I don't know where to get that. But I do know that the contracts between RIM and the carriers pass warranty servicing responsibility to the carriers. You have no path to seek free support direct from RIM for anything, including warranty service. All support starts with the carriers, who can escalate cases into RIM for free. You have no other path to obtain that.

reallyfedup wrote:
They are both fobbing me off,

Sorry...I'm confused how you come about that statement. Have you talked directly to RIM? If so, then the statement could be accurate. But, if you've only talked to your carrier, then the statement may be inaccurate.

reallyfedup wrote:

The Vodafone cust services manager simply shouted me down and said they won't do anything more for me. Mega fed up now!

That's terrible. That's horrible customer service. I continue to encourage you to escalate beyond that person. It may be accurate what they are saying, but the manner in which they are saying it is inexcusable.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
reallyfedup

It's very hard when you are being told by both companies involved that it's not their problem - I really don't know what to sya to whom now, i'm sure i'm being fobbed off as it's still within the 1 year warranty.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

reallyfedup wrote:

It's very hard when you are being told by both companies involved that it's not their problem 

You've said that twice now...and have yet to cite anyone you've talked to other than that horrible customer service manager at your carrier. How exactly is RIM denying you anything?

reallyfedup wrote:

I really don't know what to sya to whom now, i'm sure i'm being fobbed off as it's still within the 1 year warranty.

You need to do exactly as I've said many times to you now...escalate with your carrier beyond that horrible person. There is no other path for you to take...

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
williams100
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: vodaphone

Exactly the same problem here, bought a blackberry curve 9300 last may, 5 months ago, through my vodaphone account for £200.

Charging port came apart from the phone, sent phone and port  back to vodaphone. Week later got the phone back minus the charging port with a letter stating it was physical damage and outside of the manufacturers warranty.

I have spent hours on the phone to vodaphone saying it was a design fault and have got absolutely no where with them.

I have asked them to send the charging port back so I can get it independently checked but they cannot find it!!

All they say is that I am due for an upgrade on my account with one of my other phones and could get another one............sure!!

All I can say is the blackberry has a design fault with the charging port (plenty of evidence on the net) and vodaphone are a **bleep** provider.

Please use plain text.