Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
andrewilley
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Help! Curve 9360 seems dead after installing OTA OS upgrade

Last night I downloaded the latest OTA upgrade for my daughter's Virgin Mobile (UK) 9360. It appeared to be just a newer build of OS 7.0.0 that the device came with (not 7.1). I disabled most of the languages except for English, French and Spanish as suggested in the prompts.

The upgrade (33.9MB) downloaded and verified OK, and the phone started doing a backup of her current data. The last time I checked the screen it showed it was about 50% done with the backup phase, however about 30 mins later I looked again and the screen was completely off and no buttons worked at all (the charger was plugged in, so battery should have been fine).

I resisted doing a battery pull at the time (never a good idea while updating firmware!) but as it was still completely dead this morning I gave it a go. When I re-inserted the battery the phone came back on (without pressing the power button) to a white screen with a spinning hourglass and a small icon top-right. That lasted for a couple of minutes and then a progress bar saying "Patching OS" appeared. This took about 5 minutes to move up to 100%, and then it started again back at 0%. This time it got up to 34% and then the phone just turned off again (with a brief red flash from the LED).

Now it's in the same state as last night, powered off and no buttons will do anything. I tried another battery pull and the LED goes red for a couple of seconds when I re-insert the battery, but otherwise it's still dead and won't power up at all.

Help! Any advice? My daughter is suffering from BBM and What's App Deprivation already...

Andre
Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: Help! Curve 9360 seems dead after installing OTA OS upgrade

Hi andrewilley

Welcome to the Community

It is never ever Recomended to do update Device Software Over the Air. The result as you can see for yourself in this process you had lost all data within the device ,If you have any previous Backup then you are safe.Please try this Knowledge base to remover your Device.All You need to have is a PC with Internet connection and a usb cable.

KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader

Please try it and let us know of your progress.

Prince

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
andrewilley

[ Edited ]

prince2012 wrote:

It is never ever Recomended to do update Device Software Over the Air.  

First, thanks for the quick reply.

So if it's not a blindingly stupid question, why is the option there? As this is not my own phone, I wanted to follow an 'official' process rather than risking any possible issues, so rather than hacking the OS via a PC (which is what I tend to do with my own Android, and I'm quite used to flashing ROMs on that) I used the phone's own "search for update" feature and followed the phone's own instructions to the letter - including backing up data as part of what I assumed was the Blackberry's official upgrade process. Why is that wrong, as surely that's what any non-technical user would do?

Not a happy bunny. :smileysad:

There should be a backup I assume, but it will be on the device wherever that gets stored (SD card?). I did backup her SD card's pictures/music/etc content before starting this process, so at least all that is safe. Otherwise it's mainly SMS and BBMs that need to be recovered.

Andre

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

andrewilley wrote :

So if it's not a blindingly stupid question, why is the option there? As this is not my own phone, I wanted to follow an 'official' process rather than risking any possible issues, so rather than hacking the OS via a PC

Hi andre

First of all I am a user like you.If you have any questions you can ask RIM they can answer that not me, the above statment are my own. I had seen a lots of users having problem while doing an Over the Air Upgrade.

And secondly When we do updrade using BlackBerry Desktop Software we are not Hacking the OS it is the offical OS pack available from RIM forwarded by your Carrier.

All I tried is helping you as this is an open Forum and I think you also know that just like in android forum, And yes you can always Contact your Carrier or Service Provider for formal support regarding your device.

Prince

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
andrewilley

OK, I've installed the Blackberry Desktop Software on one of my PCs and it detects the existance of the device, but says it cannot communicate correctly with it and offers to Update (which says it will wipe to factory settings, which I'd prefer to avoid if possible, so I've not done so as yet).

[Edit] Hang on, I left it connected for a few minutes while writing this, and now I see the normal booting progress bar on the phone screen. It's now finished that, and now shows a white screen on the phone with the text "Linking Java" but not moving from that.

Andre

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
andrewilley

prince2012 wrote:

First of all I am a user like you. 

Oops, sorry about that, completely my mistake. I thought it was a support staff reponse.
In which case I fully accept what you're saying as just experience-based advice (which is often very different to what the manufacturuers suggest). Any further thoughts you might have would be very welcome though.
Andre
Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

Hi andre 

If we had to recover the device from this stat it will delete all your data because there is no other way.Please can you give as more detail what happen when you do the above method.If possible try it again as instructed and post back with your results.

Prince

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
andrewilley

After it had sat on that Java message for a while, it suddenly popped up the "shutting down device, press any key to stop" message, and now it's come back on showing a normal BlackberryOS 'Software Updates' screen with "Restoring your Data" which is a much more healthy sign. It's at 95% on Content Store, 45% Overall Restore Process.

Andre

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
andrewilley

Woot, it's finished the restore and seems to be working OK. That was very unexpected given the dead state it was in earlier!

It says it did a rollback, and the OS now shows as 7.0 Bundle 1680 (v7.0.0.353, Platform 8.0.0.388), which I think is what it was before (not 100% sure though).

I think we'll check all is OK when I get home from work and let my daughter can check her apps, and then look into doing this the geeky way with a full backup on the PC first, and probably go straight for 7.1 and forget Virgin's "safe" OTA upgrade path! I guess I should have known better than to trust the automatic route in the first place, I never use it on my droid so why should BB be any different?

Incidentally, is there any way to make a snapshot firmware image of the phone by the way? I always do that on my droid before doing anything risky (and then I can just restore the whole rom and data image in a few minutes if I need to).

Thanks for your help here.

Andre

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

[ Edited ]

Hi andre

We are glad that you are able to recover your daughter BlackBerry device :smileyhappy: .Regarding downloading OTA  small application or any updates from App World are O.K but I think we should not take risk doing device software which is the core function of the device.

Yes I prefer you update your daughter device to 7.1 it has more additional feature and also improves battery life.Also do your device Backup at regular interval using BlackBerry desktop software and also by BlackBerry Protect which is always needed for such kinds of incidents.

So Cheers !

Prince

Please use plain text.