Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Help-SD card & performance issues.

Under Options status:

File Free:  33426428 Bytes

File Total: 83623936 Bytes

This is after reformatting the media card in order for my BB to be functional.  Let me know if you need more information.  Thanks.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

RayC,

Your free memory seems low. My memory runs at 45 to 46 mb and I have several add on apps.

I do not know your experience level, but before we can isolate to the media card please read this:

Press the alt escape key (>looks like that) together and it will show you the applications you have running.

Most people close the applications by pressing the escape or red key. This does not close the applications.

Each application has a CLOSE option. For instance if you are in the calendar hit the menu key (spotted key) and scroll down to the bottom CLOSE is listed. Go through each application and press close. Go into the browser press menu and options select cache operations clear all categories and hit escape it will say cleaning memory.

Go to options - security - memory cleaning - enable it. The BB will now clean memory when idle for 5 minutes.

you will have an icon on you screen for memory cleaning make sure you press it.

Let me know what you think, and we'll go from there!

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bifocals wrote:

You definitely have the right OS to support an 8gb card. I have searched the knowledgebase and cannot find a like example of your problem. Can you borrow another card and see if the effect is still there?

I know this is basic, but you're sure you have the music on the media card and not device memory?

Can you swap it for a new one from the vendor?

Please let me know, so we can fix this!

I have not been able to borrow a card. I might by a new one and if it works I'll return the one I have to Amazon. The music is on the memory card, I put the music on it before I put it in the Blackberry.

I noticed youasked rayc if content compression and content protection is enabled. Is this important?
Message Edited by GlennB on 08-11-2008 08:10 PM
Guru I

[ Edited ]

Content compression is self explanatory, content protection is so the data on BB cannot be accessed by third parties. It will slow your system down to a crawl, I just tried it last week when I put a password in.

One of those "seemed like a good idea at the time" deals that wasn't :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Bifocals on 08-11-2008 08:18 PM

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Contributor

[ Edited ]
When I put an 8 gig stick in my BB I loaded it up with 5gig of music. The thing slowed to  a crawl..... for awhile. It was like there was a lag between when I did something and it would respond. It's indexing that media and it will take awhile, a few hours for 1500 songs. Once it gets to where it has it all indexed it will speed back up(note: no need to load more than 999 songs, as thats all you'll be able to see in the media player). You can verify this by looking in the media player and see whats listed so far, then just lay it down and come back to it in say 10 minutes and see what else it has listed. I did rather extensive testing with mine to figure out why I was not able to see alot of my MP3s and during that process there was a lot of loading of songs and waiting then checking the indexing. check it for yourself, my is back to ripping right along.
Message Edited by ssitruc on 08-12-2008 08:46 AM
New Contributor

Thanks, I'll try it tonight.
New Contributor

Hi bifocals,

Thank you very much for your suggestion to perform a memory cleaning.  :smileyhappy:  Pressing Alt and Esc together appear to only call up the Application Switch Menu which includes closed applications.  Regardless, my file free size did increase slightly to 33,574,600 bytes.  Not quite what you have at around 42 MB.

With 300 MB of MP3s uploaded to my media card so far, my BB is still functioning at normal speeds similar to when my media card was reformatted.  Looks like your suggestion fixed my problem.  Thanks again!

Guru I

Sisitruc,

You are exactly right, it does take time for the indexing, and it only happens when you load the music, Good point I forgot to mention that!

Guru I

[ Edited ]

Rayc,

Glad you got it running!

Message Edited by Bifocals on 08-12-2008 01:28 PM

New Contributor

Thanks ssitruc. It worked. I just let it sit for a bit and it was back to normal.

Thanks again.