Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
0ty_kitty
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8900
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

Help setting up personal e-mail accounts

Hi

I'm sure you've answered this question a gazillion times but I've just bought a second hand Curve 8900 after losing my Bold 9780, I've restored my last backup onto the phone which went okay, but I'm not receiving any emails.  When I go into the set up wizard, the only option I have is to 'use a work e-mail account with a Blackberry Enterprise Server.'

Have I snookered myself by restoring my last backup and now it won't let me 'add' new accounts?

Thanks

Kate

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: Help setting up personal e-mail accounts

Hi 0ty_kitty

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

As you are using BlackBerry earlier so I assume you also know that we need BlackBerry Data Plan on our account to use personal email services , Do you have that on your new device ? 

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

0ty_kitty wrote:

Hi

I'm sure you've answered this question a gazillion times but I've just bought a second hand Curve 8900 after losing my Bold 9780, I've restored my last backup onto the phone which went okay, but I'm not receiving any emails.  When I go into the set up wizard, the only option I have is to 'use a work e-mail account with a Blackberry Enterprise Server.'

Have I snookered myself by restoring my last backup and now it won't let me 'add' new accounts?

Thanks

Kate

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Actually, what is likely the case is that BB is yet associated properly to your BIS account from your mobile service provider...see these articles:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB28225 BlackBerry smartphone must be security wiped before transferring ownership

Depending on what the prior owner did with this BB, you may or may not be able to properly complete the Seller steps in the above...but they are highly recommended prior to transferring ownership, and if not properly completed, can prevent the functionality of the BB for you.

Further, if your carrier (I don't know which "Vodafone" you are on...there are many) does not natively support your 9780, then you may have even more troubles. You should definitely talk to them about all of this...the symptom you describe (seeing only Enterprise) typically indicates that there is no proper data plan assigned to that BB from your carrier, and only they can look "behind the scenes" to find out why.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
0ty_kitty

I've ordered a new sim with my usual plan on it, and in the meantime got a pay as you go sim with 300 texts and 500mb of data, is that right...or do I need something in addition?

Thanks

Kate

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You need a full proper BB-level data plan...generic data plans do not include any email services on a BB. You need to talk to Vodafone.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

HI and welcome to the forums!

The attached articles shows possible causes and resolutions.

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB11465 Unable to create a new BlackBerry Internet Service account from the login screen

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
0ty_kitty

Hi

Thanks for your help, I'm trying to set up a new Blackberry Internet Service Account for the device and have entered the details but I keep getting this message;

This BlackBerry® device is not registered with your wireless service provider. Please
register this device and verify that the URL of the current web site matches the
one provided by your wireless service provider.

When I then follow the instructions to register the device via the host routing table, nothing happens?  What does that mean?

Thanks

Kate

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

0ty_kitty wrote:

When I then follow the instructions to register the device via the host routing table, nothing happens?  What does that mean?

It could mean a few different things:

• The BB remains registered to another carriers BIS system...until that is released, your carrier cannot create a BIS account for your BB
  • The BB is reported as lost or stolen, and is blocked from functionality on any carrier network
  • The BB is not natively compatible with your carriers network, and therefore none of the "automatic" means of registering and delivering Service Books will work.

There probably are other possibilities, but those come quickest to mind. Regardless, the issue is between your carriers network and your BB...and only someone at your carrier can look at their network and tell you "why".

BTW -- do your voice services work correctly, and are definitely from your intended Vodafone carrier? Phone calls (inbound and out), voice mail, and SMS? Those need to be working well before you even bother trying to get anything to do with data working.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
0ty_kitty

Hey sdgardne

Yes, text and outgoing calls work, no-one has called me yet to test inbound calling.

I'll get in touch with Vodafone and see if they can help although they have been a bit rubbish today!

Thanks

Kate

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK...good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.