Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
Mika2
My Device: Not Specified

Re: How To SMS ON 8350i?

thanks! Really appreciated your concern
Please use plain text.
Elite I
cathlabnurse
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

Mika, did you say you did these things this person said?

Hello everyone ! I really hope that this information is good and I hope to save you time and a bad time, since I went thru this whole bad situation. I want to let Sprint PCS know that in order to have a good phone such as this BB 8350i they need to train their representatives about this phone, nobody seems to know what is going on about their new phones. I spent almost 1 hour in the phone with a Sprint PCS/Nextel representative trying to work my 8350i and he end up telling me that this phone WAS NOT SMS CAPABLE WHEN IT IS !!!

Anyway I had the same problem, I couldn't send SMS here is what I did; I called 611 from another nextel phone to get technical support, once one of them pick up ask them to tranfer you to Blackberry support. I am guessing Sprint has a special BB tech support or they transfer you to the BB Tech support center, which by the way if you call without being transfered from Sprint they will charge you $45 to TRY to fix the problem, solution may not be guarantee. Once I got tranfered to the BB tech support from sprint I has to make a couple of configuration changes such as the Firewall options, then  options/advanced options/Browser push and finally somehow my BB was able to send and recieve SMS without no problem. Here are the Sprint tech support numbers :

Dial *2, press Talk
or
888-211-4727 (Sprint phones)
800-639-6111 (Nextel phones)
800-877-4646 (Wireline services)

So basically the 8350i IS CAPABLE OF SMS, if your nextel respresentative says it is not, hang up and call again a lot of the sprint/nextel representative are not good at all, I has so many bad incidents with sprint that I can even remember one time this ladie started yelling at me ! anyway call them and they should be able to fix the problem for you

:smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: Nurse-Berry :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Mobilicity

I'm not exactly sure about Nextel, but Telus Mobility's MIKE service does not have native MOSMS support (ability to send/receive SMS from the device -- as you would with other Blackberry devices).

They require you to send SMS via the WAP Browser.

I'm not sure if Nextel has the same restriction. 

Please use plain text.
Elite I
cathlabnurse

so aingaran - what does it mean to send via wap messages?

somethingawful
My Device: Nextel 8350i

Cathlabnurse,
I'm not sure if your profile is current but it reflects that you use a Blackberry Curve from Verizon? I'm assuming that you have not updated your profile info. With that said:

I'm curious as to how you found an answer to be able to SEND an SMS Message from a (Nextel) 8350i Blackberry. To my knowledge, SMS (sending) is NOT enabled considering that the Nextel IDEN Network has NEVER been capable of doing-so and does NOT support true SMS better known as MO-SMS (Mobile-Originated Short Messaging Service.) Receiving, YES, Sending, NO. MMS however can be used to "mimic" an SMS message (to a certain degree.) Case-in-point if I was to initiate a text, as long as I don't enter anything in the "Subject" field on the message, the receiving party really couldn't tell the difference between my MMS message and a standard SMS message (tried and proven this personally.) However when I go to REPLY (once the person has sent me a message, or replied to my initial message) I must go in and clear (using the "Clear Field" function) the Subject which starts with "RE:" and also clear the original message (which is quoted) in order to reply to a message and not have the other person suspect that I don't have native or MO-SMS capabilities. That's the ONLY work-around that I've been able to use in order to get close to real "SMS" per-se. I'd like to know what Blackberry support helped you with to get this supposed real SMS working on an 8350i...or if I just mis-interpreted your post?
Please use plain text.
Elite I
cathlabnurse

I do have a curve from Verizon - the post was a quote, thought i put that! sorry for confusion!!! 

cathlabnurse

somethingawful- here is the link for the support forums with that quote

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&message.id=30269&query.id=254187...

I search the posts and try to help others with their blackberry. That is what we all do here . It is all voluntary and we all just try to help each other.

somethingawful

Aingarn,
Nextel has the same restrictions (and I believe is identical to Telus) for most of their older handsets (i.e. Motorola i530, i730, etc.) Any supposed "SMS" was done online via the WAP browser. The newer handsets sport a "Messaging Center" which allows those SMS messages to be downloaded directly to the phone (bypassing the browser) but none-the-less still use MMS as the means of transport for any replies or sent messages.

Case-in-point, prior to using the IDEN (8350i) Nextel Blackberry I'm currently in possession of, I was using a Sprint Blackberry Curve (8330) and whenever a friend would reply to my text messages, I could always tell who was using a Nextel (IDEN) Handset because my message would be quoted and "RE:" would be added as well...
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
somethingawful

ah, I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound so brash in my post, but I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out if someone has found a "work-around" of sorts to using (true) SMS via the 8350i, but I don't think that's going to happen due to network-related restrictions...(unless alot of wishful thinking turns into reality.)
Please use plain text.
Elite I
cathlabnurse

hope it gets resolved soon for you