Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
shmokinjoe
My Device: 9330

How do I separate mail and text msgs?

Why does everything come through the mail icon and through the messages icon? It doesn't make sense. All I want when I click the envelope is e-mail. I found a post on here that sounded similar to my problem but I my phone doesn't have the same menu options. It is a 9330.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: How do I separate mail and text msgs?

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

I can't quite tell from your post which of the various methods you have tried. Hence, if your device OS has the option, you can dictate what shows in Messages:

• Homescreen > Messages > blackberry_logo.jpg > Options > (Main Message List Settings) or (Inbox Settings) > uncheck what you want to suppress in Messages

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
shmokinjoe

OK, that did work for my email. But theres no options under sms to do that so my phone calls and emails are also in there. And, now I don't get any new e-mails to my phone.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

shmokinjoe wrote:

OK, that did work for my email.

OK...so emails are no longer arriving in Messages. I think that's what you wanted.

shmokinjoe wrote:

But theres no options under sms

You are going to have to explain that further. The only place that the options exist is the above location...and one of the options is to include or exclude SMS from Messages.

shmokinjoe wrote:

so my phone calls and emails are also in there.

If your first statement above is true, then this is in contradiction...emails either are or are not now showing in Messages.

As for the phone log, you control that in the Phone app Options. Go into those and you can suppress the phone log from Messages as well.

shmokinjoe wrote:

And, now I don't get any new e-mails to my phone.

Meaning what, exactly? When you unchecked those from Messages, then the emails would be delivered only to the dedicated email account icons and no longer duplicated in Messages. Are you saying that you no longer have those dedicated email icons? Or are you saying that they exist, but no email arrives?

As you can see, the lack of details in your latest post has only generated more questions rather than any answers for you.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
shmokinjoe

Ok, theres 2 icons on the home screen, one is for Email, one for sms...or text messages. All I want is ONLY emails in the email icon and ONLY text in the text message icon. Seems like that would be the default setting but.......

I did what you said originally and it worked for my emails.

If you try to look at options in sms it only gives you the same options that are for the main message box. In other words, no options for the sms icon. so i guess i just get emails there too. I'm not really sure how else to explain it. I don't think it's possible to do what I want to do as simple as it is.

As far as not recieving my emails....I pulled the battery and they all came through at once.:smileyindifferent:

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Here's how you can help me understand...when you do this:

• Homescreen > Messages > blackberry_logo.jpg > Options > (Main Message List Settings) or (Inbox Settings)

What, exactly do you see? And, which of the two methods above is the one that exists on your BB?

Also, if you look here:

• Homescreen > Messages > blackberry_logo.jpg > Options > General Options

Is there a setting in there to separate or combine SMS with Messages.

There should actually be multiple icons on your homescreen. One is for "Messages" - which is NOT email...it is exactly that...messages from various conduits, and it will contain whatever you tell it to contain via the above settings. Another icon should be for email, and will be identified by the email address for which it is configured. If there is an SMS icon, then it should contain only SMS.

The method of doing what you want to do is different in different OS levels. So, if you check all of the things above and figure out which method works for your OS level, you certainly should be able to do what you are asking to do...I think the ability to separate SMS from Messages has existed for quite some time.

Let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
shmokinjoe

1. yes I can get to "inbox settings"

2.no I don't see anything that says "separate or combine"

When you get to "inbox settings" from the messages icon it says "select the items to include in the MAIN message list. BUT, when you get to "inbox settings" from the SMS icon it also says"....in the MAIN message list". So there is only options for the MAIN message list.

This is why I have a hard time spending money on any of these devices. Too much focus on football apps and not enough on the basic necessities.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

And when you have those check boxes, is SMS one of the selections? If so and you un-check it, then SMS won't show in the main Messages app and will instead have a separate icon.

Wait...now I'm confused...you already have a separate SMS icon? If so, then SMS messages should not be showing inside of Messages...are you saying that they are, even though there is a separate icon?

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
shmokinjoe

Yes I have an SMS icon, and my e-mail shows up in there also. I only want e-mail to show up in email.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

That is totally bizarre. I have never before heard of your circumstance. I can only now suggest more drastic fixes. Such as reloading your OS clean. Taking it in for formal warranty support. Etc.

Let us know how you'd prefer to proceed.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates