Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
nswindells
My Device: Not Specified

How do I set my default area code??

I have now had 4 replacement Blackberry Curve 8310's and the same issue with each.  When I go to make a phone call the device asks me to set the default area code.  It shows as 774 (which is part of my mobile phone prefix) but whether I leave it as 774, delete it completely, set it as 00 or whatever, the result is always the same.....I can no longer make calls!!  The error message is always "Emergency calls only allowed".

Vodafone support suggest that I go into the Call Log and select Options.  However, none of the four devices I have had to date have an Options within the Call log.  They also suggested I go into Settings and select Smart Dialling.  Similarly this is not available on my device.  The software I have is the same version as the tech support guy at Vodafone so they are stumped and/or retarded for not being able to help me!

Any help on this is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks,

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: How do I set my default area code??

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Just checking the basics but if you press the green key which takes you to the call screen, hit menu key, press o for options you do not go to phone options?

Please let me know,

Thanks,

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nswindells

Hi,

Unfortunately not.  There is simply no Options on the list to select.  All I get is:

Help

Call from Address Book

View Speed Dial List

Switch Application

Close

This has been the main frustration.  Everyone has said select Options from the call log page, but I simply do not have it even though my software version is supposedly the same as theirs.

THanks,

Nick

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

Didn't mean to rub salt in old wounds :smileyhappy:

I have a 8330 with OS ver 4.3. I will continue to search the forum for any related incidents. I know someone will have an 8310 and we can match options. Please specify what operating system you are running.

Thanks,

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nswindells

No worries!  Thanks for the help anyway.

The version is 4.2.2.146 (platform 2.5.0.16)

Cheers,

Nick

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z30, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: B&You _ SFR

hello,

I have 4.2.2 and have this option too. I think you have not finished the standard configuration procedure.

from the home screen, go to the "Wizard" application, and run all the steps. Then ar some point, you will link to the network.

can you tell us, in the right upper corner, do you have a pictogramm ? a triangle that is made out of small vertical bars ?
or do you have a red SOS sign ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nswindells

Hi,

The signal bars are always shown, not the SOS.  I have run the full set-up wizard and have no problem synchronising with the mail server and sending and recieving mail.  It is only the phone calls that are the problem.

Thanks,

Nick

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Bifocals

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have been thinking about this issue.

Can you send us the setup of the number on your phone i.e.  xxx.774.xxxx . (I used that as it the American setup.)

Do you have an enabled GPS?

Since there have been four phones with the same exact problem, the common denominator would be the phone number.

If possible can you go to your local provider and have them replace the sim and associate a test number?

Therefore when the device wakes up and asks you to setup your number, it would have no association or programming with 774.

If it doesn't  come up with the 774, its the sim. (which they have probably have been reusing on each phone)

Secondly, do you know if your carrier is the one that is loading the OS, or is it coming preloaded. The reason I ask is the options you are missing. Like Xandrex said, it sounds like an incomplete setup, or my thought the OS.

Please let us know,.

Thanks

Message Edited by Bifocals on 09-01-2008 06:00 AM

Please use plain text.