Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
sfuentes
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: AT&T

How do I set up a vpn - email account

I access my emails from work thru a VPN. I purchased a Curve 8520 cause I understood I could receive my emails on my smartphone. I set up my personal emails, which are working fine. But, I can't figure out how to set up my VPN settings for an email account on the 8520. Co-workers who have other smartphones(not Berries) and connect. Any help will really be appreciated.

TIA

Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: How do I set up a vpn - email account

Do you know if your company has a BES? If so then you can contact your IT department and they maybe able to create an account for you on the BES and give you an activation password to activate the device. Activating it in this manner will allow you to receive your email, contacts, calendar, tasks wirelessly on the device. 

If your company doesn't have a BES but uses webmail you can try setting up to receive your Inbox messages to your device. Have a look at this KB article. 

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB02189

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sfuentes
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: AT&T

Thanks for your response!

My company does not have BES. What I need to do, is to connect to the companys VPN and then configure my mailbox. Co-workers with IPhones have done this. I have the  VPNs IP, domain name, user and password. The articles I have found, explain how to configure email, but NOT first accessing the VPN.Does anyone know how do I can do this with my 8520?

Thanx!!!

Please use plain text.
Elite I
jmrmb80
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Not sure about that. All the info I've read about VPNs say that it needs a BES to work

There may be third party VPN apps that you can try. Pocket VPN is one that I can recall.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
papersushi
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: China Mobile

Blackberry doesn't use the traditional VPN setup protocol. They rely on BES for corporate VPN. In short, you can't just setup regular VPN connection on BlackBerry by using L2TP or IPSec services. It sucks. I know. No way around that.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
papersushi
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: China Mobile

It seems that the new BB10 OS on the new BlackBerry 10 devices support the VPN setup. Haven't confirmed it yet. If your company's IT doesn't have BES platform setup nor officially support BlackBerry and you need VPN to connect to internal network and email then you should else where other than BlackBerry.
Please use plain text.