If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Lar
New Contributor
Lar
My Device: Not Specified

How do I use my 8300 as a modem for my laptop

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum. This is my first post...

I'm trying to set up my 8300 smartphone to be used as a tethered modem for my laptop to be able to get the full internet content anywhere with in cell coverage.

Question 1: 

I got instructions from the 'BlackBerry HELP' icon on the phone (my question was: how do i use my device as a modem) which seemed very complete. The modem is dial-up and when I try to connect I get Error 718 (basically a timeout error). 

Can anyone help? 

Question 2:

Since this uses dial-up, would I be using my cell phone minutes?

Thank you, Lar 

Please use plain text.
Guru I
Xandrex
My Device: Z10 10.1.0.2312 / Playbook 2.1 / 8900 5.0
My Carrier: Vodafone France (SFR) & B&You

Re: How do I use my 8300 as a modem for my laptop

hello,

first thing is to look on the forum if people have already solved your issue. In this case, the tethering subject is quite frequent. You will certainly find your answer among these discussions :

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/search?submitted=true&type=message&sort_by=score&advanced=tr...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
suock1
My Device: Not Specified

Re: How do I use my 8300 as a modem for my laptop

I have a 8330 curve and I think that your phone's modem capabilities are similar to mine. You should have gotten a VZ Access disc as well as the BB user tools disc with your phone. You must load the VZ Access disc onto your computer first. Once it begins to run and open up, you will be able to take advantage of the National Broadband feature that turns your BB into a modem. The service will cost you a base of 30.00 monthly added to your cell bill but that is only for 50 megabites of internet access. As far as minutes are concerned if you have an unlimited data usage like I do, it shouldn't affect your minutes since it is strictly internet rather than talk time.suock1
Please use plain text.