Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
thosaid
My Device: Not Specified

How to connect and use WiFi??

i just got my blackberry 8900. i talked to my service provider and they said if the phone is equipped with WiFi then i should be able to use it without being charged. Can someone do me a big favor and write a tutorial on how i can connect to WiFi? i keep getting stopped by the phone asking me to press in a sort of key right when im about to connect, such as a WEP key? nd other sorts of keys. can someone explain WiFi to me?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
hawk45

Re: How to connect and use WiFi??

I'm new to the 8900 also.. but here is what I understand. 

1. Do this: Go to Settings --> Options --> Advanced Options --> Browser --> Change "Default browser configuration:" to "Hotspot Browser" from "MediaNet".  This will automaticlly use WiFi instead of Edge/BB Network when a WiFi hotspost is detected and logged into.

2. The password you are being asked for is the WEP password set on you home network wireless router.  Same thing if you tried to use someone elses laptop at your house to connect to your router.  You set the password and anytime you connect a device to your network you need to enter it.  If you forgot what it is.. then login to your router and reset it.. usually 10 letters/digits.

3. Now you can go to Setup --> Set Up WiFi --> Go through the wizard (Next) --> Scan for Networks --> Select yours or the one you want to connect to --> Enter the WAP password if one is required -->  Once setup you can go to the "Wi-Fi Hotspot Login" and connect.  Or you can go to "Browser" on you main icon list and should take you to the internet (due to step #1 above).  Make sure the upper left corner says "WiFi" and not "Edge". 

4. Once logged into the internet push the BB button (left of track ball) and go to --> Options --> Browser settings.  Here check all the checkboxes and scroll to the bottom to enter the homepage you want your browser to open to (I use google:  http://google.com).  From there you can add bookmarks and browse as you like.

5. From then on out.. you should just have to press the "Browser" icon on the main list to connect.  But always make sure you are using WiFi in upper right corner and not Edge.

Good luck.. this is at least a start...others with more knowledge can probably add more info.

Please use plain text.
kimberly-kane

hi to connect you wi fi try going to setting and 'set up wi-fi' press 'next' and then choose 'scan for networks'  then choose your network and enter key if need do . Then go back to 'settings' click 'options'  then 'mobile network '  and 'conection preferered change to 'wi-fi' only . and that should be you connected then go back to background and click on browse and enter url you want to go to .

when you leave the place where your wi-fi is connected to it will loose connection because yo are leaving the wi-fi network area so to change back to original network e.g vodafone or orange what ever you are with got to 'settings' then 'options' then 'mobile network' and choose 'mobile network only ' hope this works for you :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
sean_walsh95
My Device: blackberry curve 8900
My Carrier: at&t

[ Edited ]

Hi :smileyhappy: I really need my wifi to work so I really need your help, I would appreciate it if you email this answer as I only set this account up to talk to you!!

Every time I go to connect to wifi it ask me to enter this PIN it is giving to me into the router, I want to connect at Starbucks where it is free and unsecured so don't understand why it wont connect! Really need help!

Removed personal information to comply with Community Guidelines and Terms and Conditions of Use.

Please use plain text.
Calikusu
My Device: 8530
My Carrier: Cricket

Go to setup and then set up wifi then follow these steps,
1 - press next
2- press push button setup
3 - press next
4 - press the wifi button on your router and wait till you connect your wifi at home.
Hope it helps.
Please use plain text.
ashley_cox
My Device: curve 8530
My Carrier: page plus

What do i do when my router pops up but a message comes up saying this wireless router supports Wi-Fi Protected Setup. To connect using a pin (which your BlackBerry willgenerate), click next. And it gives me a pin to punch in the router
Please use plain text.
deadhard
My Device: 9000
My Carrier: o2

download manual.

Page 212.

It's not totally clear, so follow slowly slowly slowly:

Turn on wireless coverage notification1. On the Home screen, click the Options icon.2. Click Screen/Keyboard.3. Set the LED Coverage Indicator field to On.4. Press the Menu key.5. Click Save.When your BlackBerry® device is connected to the wireless network, the LED light flashes green.To turn off wireless coverage notification again, set the LED Coverage Indicator field to Off.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pinoySertipayd
My Device: Pearl 9105 // Curve 8520
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

hi,

if you  want to use the wifi  to connect to the internet. you need to configure your browser to set its connection to hotspot. Need to switch your default connection from Data Network to Hotspot ( From Browser > Menu > Option > Browser Configuration > then Switch the Default Connection to hotspot, reboot the phone then try to connect to the browser

to make sure your connection is with the wifi you can do some test try to unchecked the mobile network and try to connect to the internet, hmm by the way some application needs data plan to use the service; you need to have one to used them hope it helps 

Please use plain text.
icemanuk19
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: o2

i cant coonect to my wifi...my bb says its connected but every time i try to use the internet it doenst work...plz help connecting to wifi with my bb is so confusin or im a total noob

Please use plain text.
shashikiranjeppu
My Device: curve 9300
My Carrier: tata docomo

freak it d same problm tat ws trblin me fw mins ago. Aftr u scan 4 netwrk.u selct d wifi u wnt 2 cnnct. Thn HIT CANCELwhn it says cnnct usin pin whc bb wil generate. .n voila it cnnects 2 d free wifi netwrk. :-)
Please use plain text.