Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
nuvamp
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520

How to do a security wipe if phone is stuck on start-up screen and your micro-usb port is also broken?

Good day

A week or so ago, my  phone just out of the blue decided that it would not initiate fully anymore.  It was laying on charge and when i took it off after an hour or so, it just stuck on the service provider's screen before saying "loading personal settings".  I was informed that my os needed to be reinstalled, the problem is, my usb port ion my phone is also broken.  I took the phone in to a repair guy, but he wants to ask me an idiotic price to fix it and says he is able to do so without using my usb port?  Is there any way you can wipe your Blackberry 8520 and reinstall an O.S if your usb port on the phone is broken?  Please, this is a matter of life and death as there are a hell of a load of contacts, documents and emails i would like to save, but if not able to, I can handle that too, just need the phone to work, it's of the highest importance!

Thank you so much in advance.

Juan 

JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How to do a security wipe if phone is stuck on start-up screen and your micro-usb port is also broken?

I take it that you do not have a recent back up of your phone's data?

Try starting your 8520 in Safe Mode.

Article ID: KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB17877

If you can do that, you can get to the Security wipe function, but without a good USB port, I am not sure how you're going to load the OS. But try Safe Mode first.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
nuvamp
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520

Re: How to do a security wipe if phone is stuck on start-up screen and your micro-usb port is also broken?

Thanks for the quick response Mr. Sanders.

I haven't done a back-up recently apart from bb protect that's set to do a back-up daily.  I've been trying to do the safe mode thing, but am unsure if I'm actually doing it correctly.  Is there something specific that should happen that will let me know i'm doing it correctly?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but need to find out asap.

Thank you again

Juan

JSanders
Solutions: 5,993
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

If you're doing the Safe Mode correctly, the device would boot up in safe mode... you'd know it.

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, let me know.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code