Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
BBuser2012
My Device: Curve 8520

How to download Thai Font to Blackberry curve 8520

My blackberry curve 8520, T-mobile network, ver 5.0.0.681 hasn't got Thai Font on it. I would like to download Thai font for reading and input (writing).please explain how to do it step by step because I do have not much knowledge about computer or software.  I have read some topics says that I have to download and choose the network provider which mine is T-mobile and it provides only Muli-language (not All Languages) which I can't write it (only reading). I am not too sure it is correct or not.I believe I need to download Blackberry desktop software as well. please also give advice on these software.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: How to download Thai Font to Blackberry curve 8520

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages (add/remove programs, Uninstall a Program -- it depends on your Windows OS level)

2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

4) If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

5) Now launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC, and you should be able to select the languages you desire If, during the process, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

Don't forget to backup.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
BBuser2012

I dont' know how to delete the VENDOR.XML files from the files I downloaded  to my PC (I chose Orange network other than T-mobile) and still cannot find the VENDOR.XML file from my PC. If i don't delete thes files, what gonna happen?

Software Name:BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.6.1.465 (EastAsia)
File Name:8520wifijEastAsia_PBr4.6.1_rel465_PL4.2.0.135_A4.6.1.314_Orange_UK.exe
Download Size:118 MB
Language:

English

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

If you do not delete the VENDOR.XML file(s), then the Desktop Software Loader App cannot use that OS package to install to your BB, and you will not achieve your goal.

But, to be precise...the VENDOR.XML file(s) will exist only AFTER your download the file AND also AFTER you install that file to your PC. If, as you say, you only downloaded the file, then the VENDOR.XML file(s) do not yet exist...the come into existence when you INSTALL that file to your PC.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
BBuser2012

[ Edited ]

Hi Again

I just had time to manage to load Thai Fonts and followed your advice. I still cannot get it done, Now i am at Step 5. there is no menu to upload software to my BB Curve 8520 (My BB Desktop Software is version 7)

Please adivce more.

Many Thanks

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hello again..."step 5", as in my post #2 above? If so, then there will be no "menu" per se...if you have properly conducted the prior steps, it should automatically pop up a small window and offer you the newer OS.

If it does not offer you that newer OS, then the prior steps were not properly completed, and it does not recognize the BB OS package installed to your PC as being compatible with your BB, and is simply ingnoring it.

Or, it may perhaps be that the OS already running on your BB is the same version as this OS package you installed to your PC, in which case it will not need to load the OS, but rather you should then be able to select your desired language from the application installation screen inside of the Desktop Software:

• KB14473 How to install an application on a BlackBerry smartphone using the BlackBerry Desktop Software

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
BBuser2012

I can read Thai language now but I made a big mistake when I downloaded and updated my BB, it showed me that the version of  the Device software are different from my previous version of my BB because I didn't choose the recommended version 5.0  (I click the one which the new version software will be replaced by the old version instead) now my BB device software version has changed from Version 5 to 4.6.1.305 please advice how to get back to Version 5 again

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

The process is no different...but maybe you will find this one easier to follow...

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates