Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
chris42
My Carrier: Verizon

How to download images off phone memory (ie. NO MEDIA SYNC)?

So I went and took a bunch of pictures - I think the BlackBerry says I have 5 left (though when I was taking them it often reduced the number by 2 when I took 1 picture).  If I look under Media > Pictures, I have 61 Camera pictures, 13 items in Picture Library, and 13 Wallpapers.

How do I get any of those pictures somewhere usable?  I should be able to drag them right off the phone onto my Windows desktop if this were a good, intuitive product.  Even the BlackBerry Desktop Software has NOTHING about how to access these pictures, and whenever I try the Media Sync > Pictures option it says that "A problem occurred while attempting to connect to your BlackBerry(R) device."  Except that it just did a 33MB backup of my device.

I do not have a memory card in it (partly because it wants to reformat any card I try), so my guess is that Media Sync only works off cards and not off the internal memory.

So what do I have to do: backup and find a way to rip things out of the IPD file?  Destroy the Blackberry and hook electrodes up to any RAM chits I find in there?  Purchase a new Verizon service?  What?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chris42

Re: How to download images off phone memory (ie. NO MEDIA SYNC)?

Yes, I did try following these directions (http://my.blackberry.com/tips/8172) and the Computer > Pictures > BlackBerry is empty.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,752

You've purposefully saved the images to your "protected" memory space.

You need to email the images to yoursef, where you can then download from the email to your PC.

Yep, that's a lot of work, but workable certainly, and can be remedied for the future by installing a working Media Card.

Note, I would attach no more than about 2.5mb of files to each email, or it might not send. BIS email accounts *should* be able to handle up to 6mb of file attachments, but that does vary, and I'd tell you to play it on the safe side.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chris42

BIS?

Is that the only solution? I have to do that for all 74 images?

BlackBerry so far has not impressed me, and this is another problem as far as I'm concerned: cannot save pictures through it's own software to an attached PC if the user doesn't opt for a media card that has to be specially formatted?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
kabsl
My Carrier: Etisalat

i had the same issue.

the only work around was to open windows explorer - find your device - and copy everything to the computer.

it takes some time but is the only workable solution.

super frustrated with blackberry - was a user for near 10 years - now waiting for the new iphone so i can jump!

Please use plain text.
JSanders

kabsl, how would you prefer this work?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
kabsl

J Sanders

for starters, if Link has been built to synchronise data from the phone to the PC/ laptop - then it should do just that. now to sync stuff across, if you need to go into windows explorer and copy/ paste, then what do you need Link for?

Link is such a rubbish peice of software. i started a software upgrade for the phone through link. while installing the phone restarted a few times. when link notified me that the update was complete, i unplugged the phone from the computer only for the phone to switch off and NEVER come on again. hard boot/ reload etc - none of it worked.

thank god i didnt depend on link and had copied my pictures and videos across the same morning.

this happened 2 days back.

i am no longer a blackberry customer.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Link has worked well for me. Especially for syncing media as you describe.
But since you're no longer a user, it's no longer an issue. We can help you only if you had specific questions.

Take care.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
kabsl

precisely the reason why i am glad that blackberry's support forums are not required any more. pity the guys the company is going to be sold to.

Please use plain text.