Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
nc634
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8530

Re: How to put blackberry curve 8530 to automatic keypad lock?

also i forgot to mention, when I lock the phone and holster it, it unlocks itself?

New Contributor
beakt
My Device: Curve 8530

I got here because I got a message over the weekend to update the software on my Curve 8530, which I did. I was pretty annoyed that the keylock button worked differently after the update. The new version is 5.0.0.734. Before, I pressed the lock (A key), and an icon appeared to show it's locked, and I had to push two keys to unlock it. When I pushed any button, even if it was asleep, it came right up with a message telling me what keys to push to unlock. That was good. Now, when I press the lock, the phone just seems to shut off. If I press any keys, nothing happens, but after a few presses it wakes up and tells me to press the Mute button to unlock it! This is stupid. I want feedback when I lock it, like before. Also, I don't want one button on the top of the device, easily pushed by accident, to unlock it. I connected my phone to my computer and opened the Desktop Manager. I went into the section where you can update your software. It gave me the option to downgrade to two prior versions: 5.0.0.508, and 5.0.0.337. I tried 5.0.0.508. It took 20 minutes, but it worked. Unfortunately, it still acts the same. So, I tried 5.0.0.337, and the phone was restored to the way it worked before! I don't know if this will work for everyone, but I thought I would share this. Jeff
New Contributor
CTerrian
My Device: 8530

[ Edited ]

:robotsad:

8530 version 5.0.0.734 with 4 GB media card on Verizon. ;-)
Visitor
oracleneuron

Device details: BlackBerry Curve 8530. Software Version 5.0.0.654 (Bundle 1108, Platform 4.2.0.298)

A.) How to lock keypad without password:

Press 'A' until screen turns off in approximately 1 second.

If you press the Menu key, or Escape key or any Number key you will get a message "Keypad is locked. Press the Mute button to unlock".

To unlock keypad, press the Mute button.

The Mute button is located on the top of your device and it has the media symbols of Play, Pause and Mute.

B.) How to lock keypad upon holstering device:

*Important note:

This procedure requires a holster with a magnet that is located just above the TrackPad. The magnet is used to close the flap cover of the holster.  Once the flap cover magnet sticks to its pair on the holster body - it will activate the mechanism to lock the keypad.  There are holsters that have stronger magnets in which you don't have to close the flap - it just activates the keypad lock once the device touches the magnet in the holster body.

1. Click Menu, Options, Password. For device Software Version 5.0.0.654 this "lock keypad upon holstering" feature only works if the Password is set to "Enabled", therefore you must enable the password.

2. If you enter a new password or change a password you must right it down and keep it in a safe place.

3. Set "Lock Handheld Upon Holstering" to "Yes".

4. When pressing Escape key you must 'Save' setting.

To unlock, simply type the password then press the TrackPad.

Feel free to ask any questions about these features.

New Contributor
iToasty

Okay: So i've tried all of these options:
the desktop Manager
and the one from crackberry:
problem  on desktop manager: doesnt give me the option to downgrade. can i know exactly what you guys are doing?
and also on crackberry i dont have the versions installed on my pc, or at least they dont show

god damnit i want my lock key back :[

bocabrad22

Hi

I don't have a keyboard lock option when I try to customize my convenience keys. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

jasminewaii

well when your screen is locked the only buttons you can press to activate the screen is the number pad or the hard keys above the keyboard. The trackpad will not work. I think this was just to prevent any accidental programs opening or anything happening.

New Contributor
cperih
My Device: curve 8530

did u get it fixed i updated 2 2day and it wont work for me now at all
SAABMATYAS
My Device: CURVE 8520

Excellent answer. I solve my problem at once. Thanks!