Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
didan
My Device: Not Specified

How to remove applications completely?

[ Edited ]

I went to applications list and removed msn and yahoo messenger. AND I deleted the service books, restarted the phone and those icons are still there in my app list, and they work. How do I completely delete an unwanted application? Buggers won't go away. lol

thank you,

Didan

Edited to add additional info: The apps I deleted on the advanced options app list are not listed in the applications list anymore, but the icons are still on the desktop and they work. Just wanted to clarify.

Message Edited by didan on 12-20-2008 09:15 AM
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,951
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How to remove applications completely?

Go to Options > Advanced > Applications. Are they listed there? If so, delete.

If not listed there, then they are not installed and all you see is an install shortcut, which is no big deal. Hide them.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
didan

Thanks jsanders, but the icons work even though I don't see the app listed in advanced options app list.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,951
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

What do you mean by the "icons work"? What happens when you click on one?

Go back to that applications list > Menu > Modules and delete any modules.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Developer
korylovre

[ Edited ]

Thanks JSanders,

That helped - just to clarify a bit better for us Newbies:

Original problem:  The applications to be deleted (or the icons that respresent the application) are showing up in the Applications screen (Main Screen -> Applications (The BlackBerry shaped icon - ok, so it is just a bunch of dots but it is supposed to represent a blackberry with its seeds).

From the main screen  (the main screen is the one that shows the 5 icons - Setup Wizard, Messages, Call Log, BlackBerry Messenger, Calendar and Applications) click on the BlackBerry button (the actual hard button and not the icon in the display screen).

Find the Options icons (it is a wrench with a yellow halo around it) and then click on it and the Options menu screen will appear.

Select Advanced Options from the menu screen and the Options - Advanced menu screen will appear.

Select Applications from the menu screen and a menu screen will appear listing all of the applications on the BlackBerry (all that is except for any Modules - not sure what the difference is yet but it appears that you cannot delete an Application).

Click on the BlackBerry hard button again to display the menu options for this screen.  You should now see the Modules option.

Select Modules option and menu screen will appear listing all of the Modules.

Find the module you wish to delete and select it.

Click on the BlackBerry hard button again and you should see the Delete option.

Select the Delete option and a prompt will appear asking you if you are sure - select appropriate option.

Return to the main screen and select Applications.

Verify that the application icon (module icon) you deleted is no longer in the list of Applications.

NOTE:  For those running the BlackBerry Smartphone simulator from Eclipse you will need to do the following as well:

1.  Make sure the application is not marked 'Activate for BlackBerry' in the project folder (Right click the main project folder to see this option (of course it must be a BlackBerry project as well).

2.  Select BlackBerry ->  Erase Simulator File -> Erase All

3.  Select Project -> Clean

4.  Now when you run or debug again the applications not marked 'Activate for BlackBerry' should not appear in the Applications list and those that are and compile ok and make it through rapc should appear.

Message Edited by korylovre on 08-20-2009 05:37 PM
Please use plain text.
BBMiD123
My Device: BB 8520 curve

when i go into modules its just basically a load of letters..how do i know what to delete? im trying to remove msn application completely and dont want to hide it.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

BBMiD123 wrote:

when i go into modules its just basically a load of letters..how do i know what to delete? im trying to remove msn application completely and dont want to hide it.

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

Please check here:

• Homescreen > Options > (Advanced Options in some OS levels) > Applications

If the app in question is not on that list(s), then it is not installed. Rather, the icon is a shortcut "teaser" pushed to you. You cannot really get rid of those. Rather, what I do is to create a homescreen folder called "Spare Icons" (some call it "Junk") and move all of such icons there. That way, they are out of my way. On the other hand, if the app in question is on that list(s), then click the X button and delete the app.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
kampers24
My Device: BB 9780

I downloaded the app "crunchSMS" and now everytime I go to create a text message, it comes up as the "crunchSMS" theme. I deleted it from the Blackberry App World "my world" list of apps, but it isn't fully gone. How do I delete it? I also read about going to the options, but I don't have the categorie "advanced".
Please use plain text.
Contributor
williamwirth-torres
My Device: Z10

If the application was never installed (for example, the teaser shortcuts) and you are trying to remove the shortcut icon from the Home Page, try this*:

• Select Options
    • Select Advanced Options
    • Select Service Book
    • Search for and highlight the shortcut in the list
    • Press the menu button
    • Select Delete

* directions are for the 9700

I found these directions at: http://forums.crackberry.com/desktop-manager-f153/cant-delete-desktop-shortcut-22702/. This worked for me.

~William
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

williamwirth-torres wrote:

If the application was never installed (for example, the teaser shortcuts) and you are trying to remove the shortcut icon from the Home Page, try this*:

• Select Options
    • Select Advanced Options
    • Select Service Book
    • Search for and highlight the shortcut in the list
    • Press the menu button
    • Select Delete

* directions are for the 9700

I found these directions at: http://forums.crackberry.com/desktop-manager-f153/cant-delete-desktop-shortcut-22702/. This worked for me.

Hello,

Thank you for posting that...but to clarify for everyone...that solution is indeed accurate, but temporary. Whenever you next do something that initiates a reload of your Service Books (e.g., a hard reboot, needing to push them, your carrier deciding to push them, etc,) from your carrier, those pesky things will re-appear. Hence, putting them into a Junk folder or hiding them is much more permanent.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.