Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
Goodguy
Accepted Solution

How to remove country lock.

Hello, 

Mine is 8900. 

Since there is country lock, I cannot use it in other countries, regions. I am in Netherlands and frequently travel other continents.

Does anyone know how to remove the country lock? 

Your comment and advice would be highly appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: How to remove country lock.

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

It's not actually a country lock but a carrier lock. If one country has more than one carrier, you'd not be able to shift among those carriers even in the same country. See this FAQ for guidance:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Carrier: Telus

If you are unable to use your phone in other locations, you may need to contact your carrier to ensure that you have international roaming available on your phone.

If you want to use other SIM cards in your device when you're out of the country, you need to get your BlackBerry unlocked.  You can ask your carrier for an unlock code and instructions on how to do this, or if they are unwilling to help, you can find a respectable unlocking service to unlock your BlackBerry.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

sdgardne wrote:

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

It's not actually a country lock but a carrier lock. If one country has more than one carrier, you'd not be able to shift among those carriers even in the same country. See this FAQ for guidance:

Good luck!

It actually can be like a country lock.  For example, I know people who are on Rogers and are not able to use their BlackBerry smartphones in the US or anywhere else in the world.  This is because Rogers has restricted the account and does not allow for any roaming (because this was requested by their employers).

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Goodguy

Thanks for comment.

The previous phones were Nokia and HTC. I did not have any problem in roaming with those phones. Without any procedure, I could used the phone in other countries.

Now SIM card is same and the service provider is same, T-Mobile. When I found BB did not work in China, I put the SIM card to old Nokia phone and it worked. Only difference is the phone.  

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

@Krypto -- Ahhh...I was thinking that the OP wanted to use a local SIM in those other countries rather than roam on their home carrier SIM. If instead the desire is for International Roaming, then yes that is a different solution...as I became so painfully aware of over this past summer!!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Goodguy wrote:

Thanks for comment.

The previous phones were Nokia and HTC. I did not have any problem in roaming with those phones. Without any procedure, I could used the phone in other countries.

Now SIM card is same and the service provider is same, T-Mobile. When I found BB did not work in China, I put the SIM card to old Nokia phone and it worked. Only difference is the phone.  

Hi again,

It sounds then that you wish to use a local (in country) SIM in your BB when you travel. Hence, the unlocking link first provided applies.

If, on the other hand, you want to roam with your home SIM intact, then you need to ensure you have an adequate international roaming plan from your carrier.

BB's are different from other devices...that's just the way they are.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

sdgardne is correct, you will want to contact your carrier for further assistance.  You might also need to obtain a new SIM card from TMobile.  Other people have discovered that in some cases, older SIM cards do not work 100% correctly in BlackBerry devices, but once they swap the SIM, they have no more problems and can use their device as you would expect.

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Goodguy

Thank you very much.

I contacted the service provider today, They said the problem is due to the old SIM card and they will send me the new one. They added there should be no problem in the future. (My SIM card is about 10 years old.

Thank you again. 

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto

Perfect! I'm glad that was indeed the apparent issue. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions in the future.

Please use plain text.