Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
mmouse

How to transfer data from BB to empty Outlook on PC

[ Edited ]

The Specs:

BB Curve 8310 (EDGE)

O/S  v4.2.2.170  (Platform 2.5.0.30)

Carrier- AT&T

BIS (Blackberry Internet Service)

Vista Home Premium 64 bit- SP1

BB Desktop Manager Version 4.3.0.17 (Nov. '07)

The Problem:

Please provide step by step instructions from start to finish on how to transfer my organizer data from my Blackberry (BB) device to Outlook on my PC without losing my BB data.   I define organizer data as Calendar, Contacts, tasks and memos.  I am not referring to email in this problem.

History:

I have been a BB user synchronizing my organizer data between my BB and Outlook on my laptop for a year.  Then my hard drive crashed on my laptop and I lost all of my laptop's Outlook organizer data including calendar, contacts, tasks and memos.   But luckily, I have my BB organizer data (calendar, contacts, tasks, memos)  from my last sync before the hard drive crashed, as well as, some new additional entries on my BB.  So the BB data is good, and the laptop's data is gone and Outlook is empty.

Currently:

I now have a new hard drive in my laptop recently loaded with Outlook from a CD.  Outlook has no data in it and is empty.  I want to transfer my BB device's organizer data to my laptop (Outlook).   

BB  data --->  laptop     [Not the other way around].

I have just loaded on my laptop the Blackberry Desktop Manager from the CD.  I have not set any settings and have not done any synchronization yet because I fear that I may accidentally wipe out (lose) my data on my BB because the data transfer went the wrong direction.  I need your help. What settings do I need to set up before the first synchronization occurs?

I am very nervous because I want the BB device data to over write the laptop data on this first sync.  If I screw up and do this synchronization the wrong way, I will end up with no data on my BB or my laptop and have lost years of contacts and calendar data, etc.

BTW:  I use the BB Desktop Manager with a USB cable to do the synchronization between the BB device and Outlook on laptop.

I am a new user to the setup process and would really appreciate a detailed step by step approach from start to finish to solve this issue.  Your suggestions will be most appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Miami

P.S.

Once everything above is done correctly, and after the first sync above (when the correct BB device data is on the laptop), do I change the conflict resolutions options to something else or just leave them?  I tend to use my BB more (by 98%) over the laptop for calendar, contact, etc. entries.  I want the BB device to be the "master" and the laptop be the "slave" BUT most importantly I want any change I make on the laptop to be immediately transferred to my BB device and also the other way around when I sync.  Any thoughts?  Or is this just confusing the matter.  Thank you.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,755
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: How to transfer data from BB to empty Outlook on PC

See the attached step-by-step, very specific, detailed instruction, just as you've asked.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB17022

At Step 6, you will chose "One Way Sync FROM Device"

You follow the remainder of the steps as outlined.

After completed, you will return to your Sync setup as in Step 6 again and set that to Two Way Sync.

Set the conflict settings as you prefer:

1. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager, and click on Synchronize.
    2. Select Configure PIM.
    3. Select the application whose settings you wish to change (for example, the Address Book application).
    4. Select the Configure tab.
    5. Select Advanced Settings.
    6. Select Confilct Resolution, and select the option Handheld Wins, or which you desire to be.

I choose Let me decide because I too, like you, enter data on both the handheld and in Outlook and want to be able to tell the sync which data is correct according to my desires.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mmouse

Thank you so much J Sanders for your thorough and detailed response.  I appreciate your expertise and I will try your suggestions tomorrow when my house guests have left.  Thank you again.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mmouse

I have some questions about some of the steps you so kindly listed below.  BTW:  I really appreciate your thorough step by step approach.  Just a reminder, I have Desktop Manager version 4.3.0.17.

I have not connected my BB device yet, nor have I started any of the steps you listed below.  I have a few questions to ask first before I started the process of transferring data from my BB to an empty Outlook on my PC.  Please see my original post for details.

I am going to refer to Step 1., Step 2., etc. in my questions below as they were described in the attached step-by-step instructions as listed in the link you gave below and I list this link here for convenience:

Question 1).  Don't I want to turn "off" (by deselecting the box) the default option "Automatic Synchronization  when your device is connected to BB Desktop Manager" before I connect my BB to my PC in Step 1.? (This option is on the Synchronize tab).

I don't want it to synch. before I can go through the steps listed below.  Right? Or else my data will be totally hosed.

Question 2).  On Step 2. "Click Synchronize, and click on the Configuration tab"- what options (if any) do I set under the Synchronize tab?  It does not state what to do under this tab in the instructions because it says to go straight to the Configuration tab, but I think I may have to address some of the options under the Synchronize tab at some point.  As an example,  I will need to deselect the "Automatic Synchronization" box before I connected my BB to the PC (which I think is needed), but when do I select the "Synchronize organizer data" box since it is deselected as a default?  Do I leave it deselected?  What other options do I select or deselect under this tab?

Questions 3 and 4).  See red highlighted questions below integrated in your (J Sanders) response.

A different subject question:

Question 5).  I once saw a Microsoft "Problem Reports and Solutions" message bubble from my lower right task bar (that has not returned) that says,

"Address a problem with BlackBerry Desktop Software"

"BlackBerry Desktop Software has stopped working properly."  "A newer version of BlackBerry Desktop Software is available for download that might solve this problem. RIM recommends updating to the latest version of BB Desktop Software ...". 

My v. 4.3 BlackBerry Desktop Software had previously been loaded from the CD disk and it is sitting brand new on my PC without any settings having been changed and obviously no synch's yet.  I also once got a message to update my Java add-in.  Are they related?   I am not sure if I should feel this way, but I am hesitant to update my Desktop Manager Software because my Organizer Data on my BB had previously synchronized with v. 4.3 Desktop Manager Software before my PC hard drive crashed.  So I thought I should set up all versions of software as before the Hard drive crash,  then synch., then update both my Desktop Manager and BB software.  Thoughts?

Again, thank you so much for your help.  I value your input and appreciate your effort to answer these questions and help me out.

------------------------- (J Sanders) response to my original post below ----------------------------------

See the attached step-by-step, very specific, detailed instruction, just as you've asked.

At Step 6, you will chose "One Way Sync FROM Device"

You follow the remainder of the steps as outlined.

After completed, you will return to your Sync setup as in Step 6 again and set that to Two Way Sync.

Set the conflict settings as you prefer:

1. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager, and click on Synchronize.
    2. Select Configure PIMQues. 3).  I do not see the option "Configure PIM".   I also do not see it under the Synchronize or the Configuration tab.  Perhaps this option is not in Desktop Manager Version 4.3 or it does not show up because my BB is not connected to the PC?  Suggestions?
    3. Select the application whose settings you wish to change (for example, the Address Book application).
    4. Select the Configure tab.
    5. Select Advanced Settings.
    6. Select Confilct Resolution, and select the option Handheld Wins, or which you desire to be.

I choose Let me decide because I too, like you, enter data on both the handheld and in Outlook and want to be able to tell the sync which data is correct according to my desires.  Ques. 4).  I am assuming you have selected "Let me decide" instead of Handheld Wins.  Correct?

Good luck.

Please use plain text.