Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
danny777
My Device: Curve 9360

How to turn off 3G but keep Wifi access

Hi there,

I don't have a data plan, but want to be able to use Wifi without using 3G. Apparently there is a way to turn off 3G so that I don't end up getting charged for data when I'm using a wifi network. Help!

Thanks. :smileyhappy:

Forums Veteran III
Wolf359
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: How to turn off 3G but keep Wifi access

You can try this

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/33213/Turn_on_or_turn_off_data_service_6...

or when you click on the homescreen, uncheck mobile network.

You can keep both on, but when you are on WiFi, if the blackberry symbol is next to the WiFi icon, then you are using that connection for services vs your mobile network.

Here is an example of what I mean:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/sss201111421942.png/

My Device: Curve 9360

Yes, no kidding. Using 3G over Wifi is the problem - I should be able to turn off 3G but still use Wifi, have mobile network service, be able to send and receive pictures messages, etc. I still need help with this.

Forums Veteran III
Wolf359

Check with the carrier.  If I turn off 3g and use WiFi only, I cannot send or receive text messages but everyhting else works.  Thats interesting because I see you use Virgin mobile and I use sprint.  Both use the CDMA network.  This may not be possible.  I am going to call sprint and confirm this, but I think that is by design.

You cannot send sms when using WiFi only.  You can use a messenger like bbm or whatsapp, not regular sms over WiFi.

My Device: Z10

Wolf359 wrote:

You can keep both on, but when you are on WiFi, if the blackberry symbol is next to the WiFi icon, then you are using that connection for services vs your mobile network.

Here is an example of what I mean:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/sss201111421942.png/

Thats not quit right.

When WIFI symbols apears, but that wifi requires web authentication, if this authentication fails for any reason (3RFINA  error for example), the wifi symbol stills in bar, but you´re using data plan without notice.

I realize that in worst way possible.. when my monthly quota blow up :-P

I have to download another browser (NAJILA) to authenticate correctly in this wifi at work, and then, BBOS10 use that connection.

In any case, I still preffer disable dataplan when I am here, to avoid any mistake and blow up again my quota.

It will be nice, if they put some buton to enable or disable 3G side by side wifi in setup bar (pulling down the upper bar). Or even showing any kind of alert in wifi symbol that connection still not correctly stablished.