Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: 9320
My Carrier: Tata Docomo

I am giving my Blackberry 9320 to my younger brother for him to use

I am giving my Blackberry 9320 to my younger brother for him to use, but I want to change the BBM Pin before I give it to him. So that he should not be able to chat with my BBM contatcs. Is this possible?

Is their any other alternative. Please suggest

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: I am giving my Blackberry 9320 to my younger brother for him to use

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

You should treat this as a sell/buy situation...refer:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

The WIPE will remove the association between your BBID and the BB, allowing him to create his own BBID (he will, of course, need to also subscribe to BIS services in order for BBM to even work).

On your new BB, you simply log into it using your old BBID, and you will receive your information from the services. If you are already on BBM7, then that will include your BBM contacts. If you are not yet on BBM7, then refer to the backup link in my auto-sig on this post before you proceed with anything...it contains instructions for backing up/restoring your BBM contacts to another device.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply buddy.

But even after wiping the data, my BBM Pin will be the same. So the person who has my BBM Pin if try to contact me will end up contacting my brother who will be using the phone.

I dont mind my BBM Pin getting permanently deleted but people should not contact my brother instead of me.

What do you suggest in this case ?

Hall of Famer II

FYI -- There is no such thing as a "BBM PIN". The BB device has a PIN, and folks can use that as your contact identifier for you in their BBM contact list (associating your name to your BB's PIN, just like associating your name to your phone number, street address, etc.).

If you are switching to a new BB, then you can use the Device Switch Wizard, and it's supposed to take care of changing the PIN stored on your friends BBs over to your new BB.

But, if you are abandoning BB, then you can do nothing...the BB has it's PIN, and nothing can change it (well, nothing but the factory). If someone sends a BBM message to your old PIN, it will arrive to your old BB.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Got my answer... Thanks once again Smiley Happy
Hall of Famer II

Excellent...but...can you perhaps share your answer? If it was something in this thread, then please indicate so.

Consider -- rather than a mere support channel, this site is an ever-growing database of problems/solutions...the more information in each thread, the more likely future folks will find benefit from it. Pay it forward and all that.

Thanks!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Sure I will share if it is useful for people.

Actually I am giving away my BB and want to try my hands on some other smart phones available in the market. I was worried about my BB messenger contacts as BB messenger is available in BB only. So now I have understood that if I have to switch over from BB to some other phone, I need to individually message each person on my BB messenger list to not to contact me through BBM. I hope I got it right.
Hall of Famer II

You did...since you are moving off of BB, the Device Switch Wizard is useless, and you indeed need to contact them each to let them know you've dropped BB. Also, be sure to remove their contacts from your current BBM before you wipe it...that way, you should also be "unfriended" from them within BBM.

But in the words of late-night infomercials, "but wait, there's more"!!! Coming Soon (I do wish I knew exactly when!!), there is cross-platform BBM coming! So, it is entirely possible that, in the near future, you will be able to return to BBM, even if you are on a non-BB device.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

You have provided me with very useful and to-the-point information. I appreciate it.

And abt cross platform BBM.. Its a great news.. truely amazing.
Highlighted
Hall of Famer II

You are very welcome. Enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates