Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
duckie1970
My Device: Not Specified

I cannot get past "New Password" pop-up box. Any suggestions?

[ Edited ]

I have a new Blackberry Curve 8520.  During Enterprise Activation, the pop-up "New "Password" appears.  Any combination of password that I try is not accepted (all entries are at least 8 characters and include a number).  I always get the message, 'The password you typed is too short'.  Therefore, I cannot use the phone, as I cannot progress past this screen.  Turning off and on doesn't help.  Any suggestions?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: I cannot get past "New Password" pop-up box. Any suggestions?

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

You need to contact your BES admins for assistance...they have control of the entire situation. If they are stumped, there is a BES section of this forum to assist them.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Visitor
AGoodSolution
My Device: Not Specified

SOLVED - Re: I cannot get past "New Password" pop-up box. Any suggestions?

This can occur with non BES / company issued phones and typically  when purchased used / refurb especially when purchased from a source other than your cellular carrier.

Cause / Solution  Your device was once associated with a corporate network of Blackberry's or a corporate security policy was deliberately installed before you obtained it. Regardless of your phones description or denials from your dealer about the phone being New or never BES integrated.... rest assurred a password policy deeply nested is why your password choice is being refused.

There is quick technical solution if you'd prefer to avoid returning it and wrestling the refund from your dealer. I would personally discourage you from expecting ample assistance from your carriers technical support since they may have a policy against troubleshooting phones they didn't sell you or may not even know where to begin solving your issue. Some customers may have recieved an "official" Blackberry in this condition from the carrier and it is likely they'll prefer to exchange it than fix it with you becuase the fix (assuming they even know about this method) is as routine as childbirth but can be fatal if it goes awry.

If you're unfamiliar with the DOS prompt, or intimidated with arcane configurations since it is understandable you may be and end user instead of a techno psycho, then rely on assistance from someone with skills you trust or take advantage of any business side remedies such as refunds and exchanges.  This technique is 99% safe but can be fatal to the phone for those 1%.

The following assumes your phone is equipped with at least OS 4.5, if you're unaware or unsure about verifying your OS version then you should seek assistance for executing the following fix.

Step 1. Obtain a copy of  javaloader.exe, it is authored by RIM but not exactly downloadable from the home page, search your system for an existing copy before reaching to the web since it seems some versions of desktop software included it and before removing it and even reincluding it. 

Step 2. Assuming you're comfortable with shell commands, execute the following command and replace the italicized password section with your phones password, leave blank if you haven't set the password likely resutling in the reason you're even reading these instructions (the command isn't case sensitive but YOUR PASSWORD IS CASE SENSITIVE AND FAILED PASSWORDS IN THIS SECTION WILL DECREMENT YOUR PASSWORD /ERASE THRESHOLD.

JAVALOADER -u -w your_cAsE-senSITive-PasswORD   resettofactory

The shell will prompt for confirmation before committing the reset and your data is typically erased,  nothing prevents you from sync / backing up your PIM data before resetting since it can be restored w/o restoring the nested password length account policy. The phone OS version is preserved and you'll likely be prompted at the PC to remove your phones battery to finalize the reset and this is the part where the phone can become borked like a bad childbirth which could turn into a disastrous childbirth if only attended by a midwife instead of doctor.

Removing the battery per instructions may trigger numeous USB insert / disconnect sounds and this is customary, the battery should be reinsereted when the phones screen provides some feedback and it varies from phone to phone, some may display a plain message to reinsert the battery, others may have dead battery icon but some indicator of the screen will advise the phone requires a battery to be reused and inserting hte battery is often sufficient to reboot the workings.

Upon phone restart, you may be returned to same menus such as the Advanced / Security settings instead of the blank home screen and this is customary for some devices, don't become discouraged but retry your "short" password again to determine successul.

There is also JL CMDR's superb script to streamline this process and he offers his software at no charge, search the web and download if you hate shell commands but still comfortable with programming phones and choose the "Reset To Factory" settings to make yours work.