Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
pintree3
My Device: 9300
My Carrier: none

I found your blackberry -- lost phone

If ur in montreal and lost ur curve 9300 about a month ago I found it. I have tried in many ways to let you know of this by asking people on the street where i found it and via your phone provider without success. I gave them the IMEI number of ur phone and the serial number of ur sim card. According to the provider, you have been notified, with my email address, name, etc. and yet you have not replied. Having lost my phone b4 I know how troublesome this could be and it is for this reason that I'm trying so hard, above and beyond what most people would do, to locate you.  Having said this you will probably not read this so I am hoping someone official from blackberry can reply to this message and possibly help further. If someone at blackberry does read this I can provide all the evidence necessary to let you know that I have indeed tried to find the owner of this phone --via emails (and phone calls) to and fro the provider and via the provider itself who has this on record.

I am now here for 2 reasons: a last chance for the owner to claim his/her phone  -2- once I provide you with the details necessary proving the above is there any way i could 'reformat' this phone deleting anything personal and all else and then use it? Obviously it has a password so getting passed it, is not possible. 

to all readers: If u r the owner of this phone today is ur lucky day to all else thanks for reading and replying

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: I found your blackberry -- lost phone

Hi and Welcome to the Community...apologies for the delayed reply!

I applaud your attempts at honesty in this matter and do hope that the owner has reached out and retrieved their BB. However, a couple of points...

First -- this site is not a channel for any formal communications to/from RIM. With luck, maybe they saw it...but that should not be depended upon.

Second -- I don't know about the rules where you are, but I believe most jurisdictions have laws regarding found property. Specifically, that law enforcement authorities must be involved in the process. Once a particular amount of time has passed and the item not claimed, then the person who found it can legally own it. But, that process is handled by law enforcement authorities, not by individuals. I do hope you have followed that path.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pintree3

I went above and beyond in all directions in locating this person. Info was left with blackberry, also with his/her cell provider, he she was sent emails on 2 occasions etc. etc. And nothing. I am still waiting.

Thanks for your help

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

I see...but no involvement of law enforcement. I shall assume that such is not required in your particular jurisdiction and that you truly can legally own the device if the user does not claim it. Where I am, keeping the device without proper law enforcement channels being followed would actually make me a criminal (though, admittedly, with very low likelihood of ever being caught).

BTW -- if the original owner has reported it as lost, it is also possible that it's been entered into a central database, and that services cannot ever be activated on it on any carrier anywhere in the world. Just an FYI...

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
pintree3

The cell phone was purchased as part of a contract with the cell provider. It is they who told me the phone was mine to keep and the IMEI was not blocked. It is I who insisted in having them writing back to the owner. I never tried using the phone but assume it would work if I tried. Now it is sitting in my drawer since I actually use an iPhone.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Oh that is quite interesting indeed! Well, good luck to you!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.