Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

smokeyjoe
My Device: 9360 and 9900

IDENTITY PASSWORD

When setting up my BBM I used an email address that I no longer have. When recently updating Blackberry Messenger it asked for my BB Identity password which I had forgotten. When re-setting my BB Identity password, the new password is being sent to the email address that I no longer have access to. I cannot open my BBM and have 20 messages waiting for me, until I authenticate it, with the right password. This I cannot get. Some-one at Vodacom suggested that I delete the APPS World and then re-install it. I did this, but it has done nothing. My network provider is Cell C, South Africa. Hope some-one can help.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: IDENTITY PASSWORD

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Actually, it's much tougher than that. BB ID, AppWorld, and most things related to BBs are the most secure available...but a key component of security is the human element. When that fails, the automated recovery methods sometimes just are not good enough...such is the case for you now. So, you have a choice to make...

1) If there is any way possible for you to attain access to that email account, then that would be your best bet...even if it is merely to enable a forwarder to another email address, that would allow you to receive and process the password reset email, which must be done in order to do anything in any automated fashion. Note that you must have non-BB (e.g., WebMail) access to that email account -- for security reasons, the password reset emails are not delivered to the BB, regardless of the email account that is used.

2) If you do not require to retain any prior AppWorld records (e.g., prior purchases), then you should proceed to abandon your prior BB ID and replace with a new one...refer to this for how to accomplish that:

• KB26694 How to change the BlackBerry ID on a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet or BlackBerry smartphone

3) If you do require prior AppWorld records, then you need to ring up your provider again and request escalation up to RIM. Someone will have to manually do some things for you as none of the automated methods can work. If they can adequately identify you, then they may well unlock your existing BBID and reset it to a new email address for you. Or, they may ask you to go ahead and create a new BB ID, but they will manually migrate your prior AW purchase records. But, again, this requires human intervention at RIM, and you can only receive that via escalation from your provider.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.