Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
steve464us
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Importing address book from Palm

I just purchased a BlackBerry 8330 and would like to import my address book from my Palm T/X. I have tried the switch device wizard on the BlackBerry desktop manager but it isn't working. When the "select desktop organizer" window comes up the options are not available (clickable). Any ideas?

Please use plain text.
Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: Importing address book from Palm

Method 1

If you use Outlook to synchronize the contact information on the Palm OS device, complete the following steps:
    1. Synchronize the Palm OS device with Outlook to make sure that all contacts on the Palm OS device have been synchronized with Outlook.
    2. Connect the BlackBerry device to the personal computer.
    3. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager, then double-clickIntellisync.
    4. On the Intellisync window, click Configure PIM.
    5. Select the check box beside Address Book, then click Choose.
    6. From the Available Translators list, selectMS Outlook.
    7. Click OK until you return to the Intellisync window.
    8. Click Synchronize Now. The contact data is transferred to the BlackBerry device.

Method 2

If you use the Palm Desktop software to synchronize the contact information on the Palm OS device, complete the following four tasks:
Task 1 - Export the Data
  1. Synchronize the Palm OS device with the Palm Desktop software to make sure that all the contacts on the Palm OS device have been synchronized with the Palm Desktop software.
  2. Open the Palm Desktop software and click View > Address Book
  3. Select File > Export. The Export As dialog box appears.
  4. Select a location to save the exported file and verify theExport type field is set to Comma Separated(*.csv; *.txt).
  5. Confirm the Range option is set toAll, then click Export.
  6. Confirm the fields listed below are selected in theSpecify Export section:
    • First Name
    • Last Name
    • Title
    • Company
    • Work
    • Home
    • Other
    • Email
    • Address
    • City
    • State
    • Zip Code
    • Country
    • Custom 1
    • Custom 2
    • Custom 3
    • Custom 4
    • Note
    • Private
    • Category
  7. Close the Palm Desktop software.
Task 2 - Format the Data File

Complete the following steps to assign a column heading for each data type.
  1. Using Microsoft Excel, open the data file you created in Task 1.
  2. Click inside cell A1 to select the first row.
  3. Click Insert > Rows to create a header row.
  4. In cells A1 through T1, enter the field names listed in step 6 (in Task 1 above).

Note: The table below is an example of how the first three column headings should appear.

First Name Last Name Title <first_name> <last_name> BlackBerry Technical Support Representative

5. Click File > Save.
Task 3 - Import the Data to Outlook
  1. In Outlook, select File > Import and Export.
  2. Select Import from another program or file. Click Next.
  3. Select Comma Separated Values (Windows). Click Next.
  4. Click Browse.
  5. Locate and select the data file you created in Task 1. ClickOK.
  6. Click Next.
  7. Select the Contacts folder. ClickNext.
  8. Select Map Custom Fields. The Actions will be performed screen appears.
  9. Make sure the fields are correctly mapped. If the fields are mapped incorrectly, the data will be imported into the wrong fields.

To modify the field mapping, click and drag the mapping field, then click OK.

10. Click Finish.
Task 4 - Synchronize the BlackBerry device
  1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer.
  2. Open Desktop Manager, then double-clickIntellisync.
  3. In the Intellisync window, click Configure PIM.
  4. Select the check box beside Address Book, then click Choose.
  5. From the Available Translators list, selectMS Outlook.
  6. Click OK until you return to the Intellisync window.
  7. Click Synchronize Now. The contact data is transferred to the BlackBerry device.

Source: KB03050

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
NJJim
My Device: 8330 Curve

I had the same challenge with my Curve and Palm. The solution to the problem is: 1. Back-up your Palm. 2. Delete Palm from your PC. 3. Go to Palm and download version 4.0.1, re-install on your PC, connect your Palm and do a hotsync. After the hotsync is done (having rolled back to ver 4.0.1), then you can open the BB desktop manager, click device switch wizard, click next, and you will be able to click on the top button for the Palm. I just finished the switch and now have all my info on my Curve!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RealtorCT

Does this same procedure work for Outlook Calendar which is really what I need - use another program for contacts.  Thanks
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
steve464us

From the desktop manager you can specify what you want to synchronize. I have mine set up to synchronize contacts, calendar, memo pad and tasks. Open the desktop manager, click synchronize and go through the various menus.
Please use plain text.
rzd7h0

I have gotten all the way to task 4 Number 3.  When I go into my intellisync, the "configure PIM" button is visable but not lit and I am unable to press it?  How can I correct this?

Please use plain text.
hooked

New to the site.

Is there away to sync my 8330 to my Palm Zire 71. I don't use outlook, and I actually dont use my Zire palm, but I do use the Palm desk top calendar and contacts daily. Howevery I can sync my palm to my Curve but I also need to be able to both of them. Hope this makes sense.

Please use plain text.
Visitor
renetony56
My Device: BOLD 9000
My Carrier: AT&T

Apparently I have a complicated challenge....
Palm Desktop has great flexibility in managing contact (Phone Numbers, emails) fields. Outlook is a bit more limited in that sense.

I have used Palm Desktop for more than 6 years, and my contacts could have more than one Mobile Number (one in USA, one Int'l, one for work), more than one email (very common due to all the spam activity), more than one office number, more than one home number.

I can manage well my contacts with Palm Desktop.

Issue???

BB Bold is a better Phone than the available Palm Phones, and BB has great plataform with unique feaures,

I wish that BB coul dmanage with same flexibility the fields available in Palm Desktop.

So for me transferring/syncking Palm Data to Outlook or directly to Palm will not work.

Any ideas what to do????????

Rene Negron
Please use plain text.
suresh419
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

Hello,

I'm moving from my Palm Treo 755p.  I'm using palm desktop 6.2, though I read around here that I needed to downgrade to 4.1.4 version in order to use the device switch... so I did. 

Now here's the problem, this thread was made to be used with another version of blackberry desktop manager which i'm not able to use since I have a Torch 9800 and the torch doesn't work with other desktop managers aside from the new one.

Having said that, there is no "intellisync" button anywhere in this program, and the device swith only applies to users that are moving from one Blackberry device to another...

So, what do I have to do in order to move my: contacts, calendars, memos, and other things to my Torch?

I even tried exporting my data to outlook, but as I said, I don't see any importing or "intellisync" button anywhere.  Please help... and if you point me to another thread, please make sure that they are talking about blackberry desktop mananger 6. thank you

sorry my dear palm treo... i betrayed you after all those years of faithful service
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
salger
My Device: Torch

I too am abandoning my Palm Treo in favor of a BB Torch.  I love my new Torch, but need to (1) upload my Palm data into the Torch and (2) synch my e-mail, calendar, and contacts with Thunderbird on an ongoing basis.  However, the difficulties of doing both these things are making me think I may need to abandon the Torch. Is there no solution?

Please use plain text.