Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
bsford1996
My Device: Not Specified

Install OS on my PC

I am tring to ediit my themes and I am reading:
"BlackBerry 101: The Basics of BlackBerry Themes" on Crackberry.com

and the person teaching says:
"First you will need to have the appropriate operating system (OS) for your device loaded on your PC. Once loaded, find the blackberry.alx file. It will generally be found here:"

How do I install the OS on my computer?

I took the disk that came with my BB Curve 8830 and installed that but I don't have the location they are talking about.

Any help would be great.

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Install OS on my PC

Hi and welcome to the forums!

The software on your CD is the Desktop Manager software.

This is the software you will use to backup, restore, upgrade, and synchronize your BB with.

If you have not loaded and run desktop software, I suggest you do that first. Especially

important would be to get a good backup of your system, before altering the device files.

The Device OS is the operating system that runs the Blackberry. You need to download it from

your carriers website. Make sure that you have the software for your EXACT device,

and is the CORRECT VERSION. On the BB go to options, about, the version will look like 4.x.x.xx.

Your carriers website can be found by Google. Search (vendor name) blackberry downloads.

Download the device OS to your PC and then run the file. It will extract itself to the correct

directories, provided you have correctly installed the desktop software.

Have a good time in class, make sure you attend Lecture 12 (How to reload a NUKED Blackberry!) :smileywink:

Thanks,

Bifocals

Desktop software installation procedure:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB16236&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter