Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Is it possible to download the sat nav map for Europe?

I have a contract with Vodafone and the Sat Nav only works in the UK. Is it possible to download a map for Europe and get it to work over there?

Thanks

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Is it possible to download the sat nav map for Europe?

Hi and welcome to the forums!

I see that no one answered you so maybe I can help. Your carrier is Vodafone? Sat Nav is their GPS utility which only works on the U.K? "Download a map for Europe and get it to work over there." You are going to Europe?

I think your asking for a gps utility that works in Europe is this correct?

I'm sorry for all the questions but we need as much specific information as you can provide to help.

Things like  Blackberry device type, Operating system being used, where you are based now, etc.

If your asking if there is a GPS directions program that works in Europe, you can use Google maps for free if your BB device has an enabled GPS. Google maps uses GPS and also triangulates from cell towers as well.

Please let me know so we can help!

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Hi There and thank you for taking the time to try to solve my issue.

My carrier is Vodafone UK as I live in London.

I am going to Europe and I would like to use the sat nav while over there but it looks like my BB does not have a map.

My BB8310 has a GPS but it does not work outside the UK.

Let me ask a question now. Is google map use free? Does it use the same technology as a satnav or does it download data (for which I have to pay)?

thanks,

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Google maps is a free application here in the US. I remember reading an article that said they were in the UK and in parts of Europe (May 2008). Google maps can use GPS or if disabled, it will fix your position by triangulation with cell towers.

My carrier sells a ten dollar a month navigator app, that unlocks my GPS. Rather than pay that I use Google maps. With triangulation it varies in accuracy, mine is usually within 3,000 meters of where I am. Since I'm not a surveyor, that works for me :smileyhappy:

There are other free apps as well, like MS live, but I am unsure of their coverage of Europe, and specifically where you are going. I think you will find the best info directly at Google.

I just re-read your last question about downloaded data, I have an unlimited data usage plan with my carrier so I never really bothered. I know I don't get a bill from Google :smileyhappy:

I hope this helps at least a little bit and Good luck on your contract!

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter