Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330
Accepted Solution

Is it possible to tell what OS is on the device by the serial number on the box?

I just got a BB curve and it has OS 4.3. I want OS 4.5 but I have a mac so I can't load it. I also went to several sprint stores and they couldn't update my BB for me.

So, I am wondering if you can tell what OS may be on the device (i.e., the date of manufacture) from the serial number. If you can, does anybody have any idea what to look for in the SS number or how to interpret it? I'm thinking of going back to the store where I bought mine and replacing it with a new one with a later serial number and I want to make sure that I get one with 4.5.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2252; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Is it possible to tell what OS is on the device by the serial number on the box?

There are no Sprint devices with OS 4.5 out of the box.  Sprint hasn't released 4.5, so they are all 4.3 right now.

There is no way to tell the OS from the number on the box, either.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Is it possible to tell what OS is on the device by the serial number on the box?

Right. You either have to wait for Sprint to release the 4.5 OS, or you can install another carrier's 4.5 OS on your phone. If you're up for that go to this page and click on your model at the top of the page

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8300-series-discussion-curve/

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

Thanks both of you for responding. You've saved me some work today. 

On a related note, will I be update the OS over the air when it's released by Sprint or do I have to find somebody with a pc?

Thanks again for your help. 

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

You'll have to do the update on a PC. However once you update to 4.5 you can make use of the wireless upgrade feature
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.