Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Is there WiFi??

I am going to get a blackberry curve, but i want to know if i don't buy a data plan, is there still Wifi so i can get internet on my BB or would i just get no internet and WiFi???
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8330 Curve By Telus

Re: Is there WiFi??

Unfortunately there is no WIFI on the Curve.  So far the only Blackberry I have seen with WiFi is the Bold.  In order to use the internet I would recomend getting a data plan with unlimited usage.  I used up alot of data so far with my curve 8330 mind you I am on msn and use the maps feature alot throughout the day.

I have a 8320 Curve and it most definately has got WiFi, in fact I route all my calls through it using UMA!!
New Contributor

But wait- i don't really want email or all the great stuff you need an extra plan for. i just want WiFi capabilities, so i can look something up on my phone at my house. Do you have to buy a data just to text because i dont really want anything but text and call? like my friend has an iPod touch, and he doesnt pay anything and can search youtube in a room with wifi, and you don't have to pay on that.
Super Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9530

Who is your service cellular service through?

** Don't forget to resolve your post with the accepted solution.
New Contributor

Cingular/At&t

People are confusing the issue:

1. Wifi will allow you to get on the internet/retrieve emails whether there is a sim card in the phone or not.

2. You can only text with a valid sim/contract 

3. Wifi will also let you make free calls using UMA if your wifi network supports it 

New Contributor

No. My friend has free internet on his iPod touch were ever there is wireless internet connection. do i have the capability of doing so- or is the only way to get internet to buy it.
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

619solutions wrote:

People are confusing the issue:

1. Wifi will allow you to get on the internet/retrieve emails whether there is a sim card in the phone or not.

2. You can only text with a valid sim/contract 

3. Wifi will also let you make free calls using UMA if your wifi network supports it 

hello,

1) to use a Blackberry functionnalities like push email, you need a Blackberry subscription at one mobile phone carrier.

you can use a regular sim card but then your mobile phone can't do data things : no internet.

2) is true.

3) no.

if you want all that you may look for an iPod Touch indeed. But keep in mind the email application of the Touch is really lousy... and there is still no copy/paste.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:

i was told that if you buy a BB you have to use the Data plan no matter what..... now with T-mobile that might be different since the 8320 has Wi-fi but with verizon and sprint you cant use the phone period without the plan....at least thats what they tell you dont know how true that is though...