Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
jmseva
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Is there a carrier charge for receiving message notifications???

Is there a carrier charge for receiving message notifications??

When I receive new emails from my personal email account, new updates from facebook, or new instant messages I also receive message notifications which goes to the message folder. Is there a carrier charge for recieving these notifications? Are these considered text messages?  I don't have unlimited text messages for now. Thanks

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,825
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Is there a carrier charge for receiving message notifications???

If you are receiving true SMS texts mesages for those emails and Facebook notification, you're likely being charged. You would need to cal and ask your carrier to check and see if you are being billed.

Did you have a non-smartphone in the past, in which you had text messages set up to come to your device when you received an email? Go to those websites like Facebook, and turn the notifications off.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jmseva

What do you mean by "true sms text messages?" I never activated the mobile notifications in my facebook (I double checked it) and my yahoo does not even have the option. I checked my usage online and it does not show any charge for text messages yet. I'll continue to monitor this. But any answer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Then I am confused.

What kind of messages are you getting, SMS text, or email notifications?

What messages folder are they coming to, your main messages folder?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jmseva

Yes, they are in the main message folder, the same folder as the SMS text messages coming to. I just think that they are sms text messages because they are in the main message folder.

Everytime I send my wife an IM using Yahoo Messenger, she gets two of the same message, one in the "main message foder" and one in Yahoo Messenger application. This also true for new personal email, new facebook update, etc.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
JSanders

I think you might be confusing what all goes to the Main messages folder.

ALL BIS account email (for instance Yahoo mail) will always come to the main messages folder. That cannot be removed from the main messages folder.

So, to what is exactly happening, do this:

Open your main messages folder > press the Menu key > Options > General Options.

Scroll down to Email and SMS Inboxes = Separate, and save with that option.

Now, observe your newly created SMS inbox on your homescreen and if you see messages populating that SMS folder, you will know if you are getting SMS messages.

If you don't, you're good--because all you would be seeing then, in the main messages folder, is data messages.

Make sense?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jmseva

I already seperated the email notifications from BIS and the true sms text messages using the steps you provided me. The question is, are there any charges for the emails/notifications I receive in the main messages folder? Or are these messages covered by my data plan?Thanks

FYI: I sent an email, IM and facebook messages  to my wife and all notificatains went to the messages folder not the sms/mms folder.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

jmseva wrote:
FYI: I sent an email, IM and facebook messages  to my wife and all notificatains went to the messages folder not the sms/mms folder.

Good, so that is settled, thy are definately email messages, not SMS text messages! :smileyhappy:

jmseva wrote:

The question is, are there any charges for the emails/notifications I receive in the main messages folder? Or are these messages covered by my data plan?Thank.

Hard to say, unless I missed it, you have not explained 

1. Who is your carrier

2. What data plan you have (unlimited data, limited or capped plan, internet only plan with no email).

That will help to answer, but even better, you would be better off getting that information from your carrier, if you are interested in "carrier"charges.

But if you answer the above, I bet we can help you determine whether or not you'll have any additional carrier charges.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
jmseva

I have unlimited data plan with AT&T. Thanks for helping me.

Please use plain text.