Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

My Device: Curve 8900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Issue w/Wiped Text Messages?

I'm trying to find out if anyone else has had part of their text messages wiped from their Blackberry?

Back in August '12, I noticed that I wasn't able to access text messages that were before a specific day in August.  I chalked it up to a bug or a one time screwy thing.

But last week, I noticed that I wasn't able to access text messages that were before March 24, 2013.

When I spoke with my provider (T-Mobile) they said that maybe Blackberry was consolidating their databases.  Which I could understand *IF* they gave me a warning, so I could back the information up.  I keep a lot of data in my texts, and so I've lost a lot of information.  The latest  response from my provider was that if I'd backed up the phone recently, I could use that to recover the messages that were wiped, but then I'd loose any messages that were received after the backup date.

Help?

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Issue w/Wiped Text Messages?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Here are some guidelines to use:

• KB02843What is the Low Memory Manager feature on the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB14320How to maximize free space and battery power on the BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB14213Call logs, SMS text messages, and email messages are deleted from the BlackBerry smartphone

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code

[ Edited ]

My file free shows 298,374,688 bytes. (Edit: Apparently I added in an additional #, since it should be 8 digits, not 9, but I dunno which one it was, other than it wasn't the original 298 part.)

I'm guessing that should be plenty, although I'm sure there isn't a way to see what it was last week before it wiped things out.

Della

Hall of Famer II

If you had been running a monitoring app (e.g., MeterBerry) that was logging, at defined intervals, the amount of free AppMemory, then indeed you could look back and see that. But, lacking that, there's nowhere to obtain that information from the past.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates

So I am basically SOL unless I reload from the backup, and if I do, I loose the new messages. Fun.

Thanks.

Della

Hall of Famer II

Yup. They key to long term storage is a good backup process (see the link in my auto-sig for that). With that, you'd have backup files on your computer...and there are 3rd party apps that can parse those proprietary files and present them in human readable format. From that, you'd have at least some sort of retention of the information going back as far as you desire, but not depending on the device itself for that long term storage (always dangerous to depend on, IMHO).

So, unless you really must have those messages on your device, you can skip the restore and instead find one of those PC-based backup file extractors.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates