Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Ive Got an 8310, 2 Things Are Really Bugging Me, As Im Not That Hot On Technical Talk.

Hello, Its my first post so be gentle.lol

Firstly ive got an 8310 Curve running 4.2 and am looking to upgrade to the newest version 4.5-4.6, but im on O2, firstly would I be able to and what is the term "Carrier"?

Secondly Ive got Maps on my phone that was there from the start but it doesnt seem to work, is there a step by step guide on how to use it or do I have to download something to use the Map feature,

Hope some1 can help cos its really annoying me.lolSmiley Mad

Thanks In Advance

Colin

Forums Advisor III
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

Re: Ive Got an 8310, 2 Things Are Really Bugging Me, As Im Not That Hot On Technical Talk.

Welcome Colin! A carrier is your cell phone service provider. Such as at&t, sprint, or verizon. The 4.5 OS is available on some carriers. I don't think. Any are in the U.S. though. You can still download it and run it on your phone by deleting the vendor file. But it can be risky and because it is not supported by your carrier they will not be able to help you if there is a problem with the phone. Several carriers are rumored to be releasing the 4.5 sometime this month. Ok. About the maps. What particular map applocation are you referring to? Most that come with the phone such as telenav require a monthly subscription through your carrier. But there are free apps out there like google maps that don't require a fee but also do not have spoken directions either. I hope I have helped you. If there is anything else I or someone else can help you with please ask. Again welcome to Blackberry.
~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!
New Contributor

Re: Ive Got an 8310, 2 Things Are Really Bugging Me, As Im Not That Hot On Technical Talk.

Wow thanks for the Quick reply, Very Useful!!

The Map software I think is Tele-Atlas, sorry if this makes me sound stupid but thats all i could find on the map software lol!!

Would I have to download Google maps from my Blackberry or could i download it on my pc and do it that way?

To do with the "Carrier" thanks alot with the simplification, I live in the UK and am on the 02 network and looking at other forum answers and info there isnt any "Carriers" for my Network.

Thanks For The Help Really Appreciate It

Colin

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello,

go to http://m.google.com/ with your blackberry. There will be a link to download Google Maps for Blackberry.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Thanks alot, il try that tonight,

Ive got another 2 things happening now, if i just leave my phone on my desk at work, with the Keylock on, after the backlight has dimmed and turned off, every now and then my phone just lights up for no apparent reason as if ive pressed a key but I havent, Have I got some paranormal activity going on or du think there is something more sinister wrong with my phone, also its got full battery.

Secondly my trackball doesnt always respond when i select something sometimes it takes ages other times it completely ignores me and othertimes it seems to carry out loads of presses in one go?

Thanks For All Your Help I Really Appreciate It,

Colin

New Contributor

Ive figured out that when in the menu's, and i select the Letter Q this acts as if ive pressed the Trackball down as the trackball itself does nothing, have i selected something whilst walking with the phone maybe not on Keylock?

As for the Light keep appearing im still baffled?

Colin