Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Contributor
Shmoo
My Device: Not Specified

JVM Error 102 -- BEFORE YOU WIPE YOUR SYSTEM --

If you get "JVM Error 102" when starting your Blackberry, read this before you wipe everything!!

I had spent hours searching for a solution to this problem (I even went to my service provider) and all I could find was that I would have to wipe the contents of my phone and start all over again -- tough luck if I didn't have backups for my contacts, appointments, program data, etc.

What it comes down to is that the JVM 102 error means that a .cod file on your phone seems to be corrupt, so the phone refuses to load it. Why wipe everything for one bad file? You might not need to!

Follow these steps:

1. Download JL_Cmder

2. Connect your phone to your PC using the USB cable that came with it.

3. Run JL_Cmder and select option 2 (event log)

4. Scroll to the bottom of the log and look for "JVM Error 102." The line before it should tell you exactly what file is causing the error. It might look something like this. Save the file name; you will need it later.

5. Go to Start > Run, and type "cmd" then press Enter.

6. Change directory to the JL_Cmder installation folder.
    e.g., type: cd "C:\Program Files\JL_Cmder\" and press enter

7. Type the following command to remove the offending file:

javaloader.exe -u erase -f FILENAME

where FILENAME is the name of the .cod file.

8. Disconnect your phone from your PC and restart it.

This might not be a permanent solution, but it should at least let you boot up your Blackberry so that you can back up all your data before reinstalling everything.

-- Shmoo

Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: JVM Error 102 -- BEFORE YOU WIPE YOUR SYSTEM --

Thanks for info.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

jgjgjgjg

HOLY CRAP!!!!!  THIS WAS THE BEST ADVICE EVER. 

I went to two AT&T stores.

The first jerk told me by BB was fried and I would need to buy a new phone right there.  Natuarally, he tried to sell me the new BB.  At that time I was willing to stick my SIM card in an old phone until I was ready for an upgrade.

I decided to try a second AT&T store.  The kid there was very nice but said he thought it was fried too and gave me the 800 warranty number.  He didn't try to sell me a phone.  Since I was only 2 months past warranty, he said I might be able to weasle them into replacing my phone.

I called the # and needless to say, I was not offered a replacement despite the fact that I was less than two months past warranty.  But he did tell me I would need to do a hard reset and would lose all my data.  I was resigned to the fact that I would lose a lot of my info.  I did have an old SIM laying around with some #'s so it would not be a complete loss. 

I actually started to do the hard reset when I got home. The only reason I stopped as because I needed to upgrade my BB desktop manager. 

While that was downloaded, I went to Yahoo! and typed "JVM  error message 102."  This link was near the bottom but how could I pass up the heading, "Before you wipe your system."  

It worked wonderfully and my BB is up and running again. 

I did, however, learn my less and no created a backup of my calendar and contacts!!!!!!

THANK YOU FOR THE INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visitor
DLAnderson
My Device: Storm 9530

Excellent post!!! 

FYI - These steps work for the Storm 9530 in the same manner.  If it doesn't work after you delete the file, check the event log again to see if you have a new file with the same error.

Forums Veteran I
bbhorrigan
My Device: 8900

Good research.

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
New Contributor
tammyj83

The file erase kicks out an "error: invalid handle".  Do you know what this is and/or how to fix it?  Thanks.
New Contributor
jjay

[ Edited ]
I had the same problem--I got an "error: invalid handle" message.  But then I realized that I was incorrectly typing in the offending file name because I was including some numbers in parentheses at the end of it.  Look carefully at the highlighted example that Shmoo linked to above and make sure to copy only the highlighted portion.  I eliminated the parenthetical and it worked fine. Let me add that I am using this fix on a Pearl
Message Edited by jjay on 02-04-2009 12:11 PM
New Contributor
tammyj83

I noticed that, as well, and corrected the filename.  The erase appeared to work, but my phone is still hosed.  After the erase process described above, a new error was displayed:  507

:smileymad: 

New Contributor
tammyj83

I found a thread on this site about the 507 error that cured my blackberry!  :smileyvery-happy:

Hope this gets you to it:

BlackBerry Support Community Forums : Smartphones : BlackBerry 8800 Series Smartphone : ERROR 507

The post is dated 9-20-08 and is authored by expert "tbilisoft"

New Contributor
tammyj83

Addendum to my last message...look for the post by tbilisoft that was posted on 1-5-09 (there's a bunch of screen prints w/it)....the date I referenced in my last message was apparently his/her registration date (?) ...sorry, I'm new to this site...and techy sites, in general...