Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
ravindersound
My Device: Blackberry 9380 Curve
Accepted Solution

Just purchased Blackberry 9380 Curve want to upgrade to OS 7.1

Hi, I am from India just got a BB 9380 Curve. But its got OS7. I was told that it can be upgraded to OS 7.1 which has a lot of new features, like FM Radio, Mobile Hotspot, Wifi Calling,bbm 6.1, Faster Browser, Smart Tag Update, But when ever I open my Desktop software and connect my phone to my laptop to see if the update in available it just does NOT show me any update.

Please send me the link to upgrade my bb 9380 curve to OS 7.1

thanks

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Just purchased Blackberry 9380 Curve want to upgrade to OS 7.1

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately, since you did not say who your mobile service provider is, it's impossible to tell you if your carrier has released the OS you desire or not...but you can search in the official download portal:

The Desktop Software will only offer to you what your carrier has released and supports...unless you override it by the below means.

Also, at the top of each device forum, there should be some "sticky" threads that discuss the OS levels available for each model. Please use those as reference as you proceed.

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. You can even use a different carriers OS package by simply inserting, between steps 1 and 2, the deletion, on your PC, of one (or possibly two) files named VENDOR.XML. Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
ravindersound

Thank for the Quick response :smileyhappy:

My Network Carrier is Vodafone (India)

I did some research on the internet and found a download link to update bb 9380 Curve to OS 7.1

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/browseSoftware.do;jsessionid=FC0EFD0C363DA6F46D0ED4A530...

But I am not sure if the above link is the right one  to download for my bb.

What difference would it make if I update my bb from the above link that i found? Will it create any problem for my handset? Will I not be able to use some services or features? If yes then what kinda services would I not be able to use?

Is it going to be very complicting updating my bb?

I even followed your link and selected - Asia Pacific - Vodafone Essar

When I go further I dont find the update for 9380 to OS 7.1

My current OS details on my new bb9380 curve already pre-installed is,

Package Version: 7.0.0.2113

Applications: 7.0.0.482

Software Platform: 9.32.0.40

Thanks

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Interesting...I don't find Vodafone India on the official Download Portal...are you sure that's their exact name? FYI...the URL you posted goes nowhere...

If you find an OS package you are considering, you can post the filename here and that will tell us if it's applicable to your BB. Indeed, within the filename will always be the BB model number...and that must match exactly to your BB model number.

You can use an OS package from any carrier as long as it's for your specific model number. What you must do then is to, after you install the OS Package to your PC, delete at least one (and possibly 2) copy of VENDOR.XML...if you do not delete these, then the OS package won't be recognized for installation to your BB. Another way to install these is to remove other OS packages from your PC, install just the one you desire, remove the VENDOR.XML file(s), and then launch the Desktop Software...that often will allow the Desktop Software to recognize the OS Package as available to install to your BB.

Again, I don't know what carriers have released what versions of the OS for your specific BB...you must do that research via the download portal. Note that you will not find the same OS packages at all carriers for the same model BB...each carrier decides if they will release an OS...if they decide against releasing it, it will not show on their section of the download portal. Digging for what you desire will be a tedious process, to be sure.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
ravindersound

My mistake!

The following URL takes you to the download page.

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=28DC6B0E1B33769B4B94685E4F4D1E5C

The Link shows Software Download for Trigcom

Will this version work on my phone?

Would it be locked?

Should I install the above software on my Handset or should I wait untill it shows under the Vodafone Essar link?

Yes my carrier name is Vodafone Essar

You have emphasized on deleting VENDOR.XML file(s) why is it so important to delete it?

What kind of information does it contain?

Thanks

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

ravindersound wrote:

The following URL takes you to the download page.

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=28DC6B0E1B33769B4B94685E4F4D1E5C

The Link shows Software Download for Trigcom 

Ah yes, that's better!

ravindersound wrote:

Will this version work on my phone? 

Well, the file name is 9380M_PBr7.1.0_rel1133_PL9.32.0.88_A7.1.0.336_Trigcom.exe, which is OS level 7.1.0.336, and that is correct for your reported model number (9380). As long as you follow the above instructions (about deleting VENDOR.XML files), yes it should work.

ravindersound wrote:

Would it be locked? 

No...if your BB has been MEP unlocked, then it is forever unlocked...only the factory can again relock it.

ravindersound wrote:

Should I install the above software on my Handset or should I wait untill it shows under the Vodafone Essar link? 

I cannot tell you what to do. As long as you follow the instructions provided, the OS package should work just fine on your BB. As per their download portal, your carrier remains on OS 7.0.0.482 for your handset. There is no way to know if they ever will adopt anything newer than that. I've used alternate carriers OS packages many many times with no ill effects whatsoever. The only potential downside is that, if you need to seek help from your carrier (which is your only formal support channel), then they may refuse to provide you with help until you fall back to their supported OS level. But that process is just as simple as the one you are considering undertaking now.

ravindersound wrote:

You have emphasized on deleting VENDOR.XML file(s) why is it so important to delete it?

Every BB, when originally manufactured, is configured for a specific carrier, and that VendorID is a code embedded into the firmware of the BB, which can never be changed. When you attempt to install an OS package, if the package has VENDOR.XML that does not match the VendorID code inside of the BB firmware, then the OS package will not install...deleting the VENDOR.XML file(s) prevents this cross-check and allows any carriers OS package to be installed to that BB (again, as long as the OS package is specifically for the exact same model number). If you are using an OS package that is from the same carrier for which the BB was originally manufactured, you don't have to delete VENDOR.XML since the cross-check will match.

ravindersound wrote:

What kind of information does it contain? 

I've often wondered exactly what is inside of VENDOR.XML. The primary piece is that VendorID cross check information. But I've often suspected that it also contains other things that the individual carrier desires to push out to their users.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
ravindersound

Thanks for your reply!

Will try to install the os 7.1 as per the helpful procedure given by you.

Just a last few questions....

Once I install the New OS 7.1 on my 9380 Curve....

As per the advertisement it provides many new features....

1. Will it have a "Working" FM Radio with Free Station Surfing for usage with Indian frequency channels on the Handset

OR will it have paid data usage charge?

2. As per my knowledge FM Radio works on different frequencies....Would I have to make any new hardware updates to my 9380 Curve?

3. Will the "Mobile Hotspot" work with 9380 Curve?

4. How does Wifi Calling Work?

Thanks for your support once again....

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

ravindersound wrote:

1. Will it have a "Working" FM Radio with Free Station Surfing for usage with Indian frequency channels on the Handset

OR will it have paid data usage charge?

I have no idea...I've not seen any such capability for it. Your specific model BB would have to already have inside of it an FM radio receiver for this to function. No amount of software can overcome a missing radio receiver. I've no idea if your's has that or not. Most "radio" functions I've seen for BBs are internet-streaming "radio" rather than true radio broadcast reception.

ravindersound wrote:

2. As per my knowledge FM Radio works on different frequencies....Would I have to make any new hardware updates to my 9380 Curve?

I've no idea...I've honestly seen nothing whatsoever about true FM radio for a BlackBerry (I don't look at very many advertisements).

ravindersound wrote:

3. Will the "Mobile Hotspot" work with 9380 Curve?

I don't know. Some carriers block that function, others allow it. Each chooses what they allow and forbid.

ravindersound wrote:

4. How does Wifi Calling Work?

That is part of UMA services, which some carriers support and others do not. If supported, then the carrier faces to the internet a gateway server that accepts the IP transactions from their BBs, and converts that to voice services over their voice system. So, the BB connects to that gateway via IP, and the carrier then interfaces the BB to the voice network via that gateway. Not all carriers support UMA.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
ramjee_j
My Device: curve 9380 and Playbook 64GB

hi,

did u manage to update 9380 to os 7.1. if so please share how to do so. iam also tied to vodafone essar india network.

thanks,

ramjee j 

New Contributor
ravindersound

Hi,

Yes I was able to update my bb os for 9380 with the help of the following link,
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Device-software-for-BlackBerry/How-To-Reload-Your-Operating-S...

Just follow it and you should be fine.

Note : It really drains out your battery very fast.
Heats up your phone very fast.
Sometimes hangs ur screen as well.

But the experience of OS 7.1 is superb.

Regards
Ravi