Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
RNSrobot
My Device: Bold 9700

KOODO Blackberry users - how satisfied are you?

KOODO Mobile has made it affordable for me to buy a Smartphone.  They have great personal plans, an affordable cost on the phone I've been eyeing the Curve 8530 they offer for a while but I'm unsure and have a few questions.

I kind of wonder why the Curve on KOODO is NOT 3g. How have you found the CDMA data speeds and overall performance of your data using applications and functions?  Do you badly wish it was 3G or are you satisifed?  How fast is the Wi-Fi compared to that?

I've heard wildly different accounts about the BB Browser available on os5.  Do you hate it or do you like it fine?  Is it utterly painful to load websites and do regular browsing? 

What is with Telus/Koodo smartphones and not doing MMS?  Are you okay having to email pictures instead of being able to attach them to text messages? 

On the $25 Blackberry data plan, do you have any problems using Blackberry App World or other applications?  How responsive is the PUSH email?

KOODO now offers a competing phone called the INQ Chat 3g.  I'm trying it out right now.  It's 3G/HSPA and honestly, I think it's a very good phone for the money and does basically what I need it to.  The big drawback is that it does NOT offer Wi-Fi.  500mb of data is likely plenty for me but I sure would like Wi-Fi.  This may or may not be a dealbreaker for me.  I also would like features like Blackberry Messenger, Blackberry Maps...

Thanks for reading and for your time.  I don't have much experience with smartphones and am looking for some advice based on experience!  

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,957
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: KOODO Blackberry users - how satisfied are you?

Remember, while the Curve 8330 is a good device and actually the highest selling smartphone of all time, thus far, it is a two year model and design. Techonology changes quickly in this world.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RNSrobot

I thought the 8530 was released last fall, less than a year old? That's why I am looking for feedback though. I don't know when Koodo may offer a newer model Berry, but as a budget carrier it's not like they will be offering a Bold or the Torch.  The rep expects they might offer a newer Pearl soon but I have no interest in the Pearl (I want QWERTY).  Thanks!

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,957
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Sorry, I misread that you had the 8350.

You're correct, the 8350 was not designed to have 3G signal.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RNSrobot

Hey, that's a useful piece of info.  Thanks.  

Is lack of wi-fi the dealbreaker, or lack of 3g? Basically what I'm trying to figure out.  I suppose I could wait and see if KOODO ends up carrying the just-released Curve 9300.  I don't expect they would get that until at least spring, though, so it's 8530 (running CDMA) or the INQ Chat 3g.

I've been waiting (and waiting) for a long time for a smartphone I can afford though.  I'm never going to be on the cutting edge of smartphone tech, I can accept that.  I would like a smartphone I will be happy with for at least a few years.  And I would like a Berry specifically but not if the experience based on model/carrier is going to be irritating.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nicole_86
My Device: Curve 8530

[ Edited ]

I have been with Koodo Mobile since October 2008, and have used a few of their phones since I like to stay up with what's new and coming out. I live outside of the city so I usually get 1 or 2 bars of signal at best. But never once had a problem with dropped calls, not recieving texts, not being able to make a call, or when someone calls me my phone not ringing and it goes straight to my voicemail untill I bought the Blackberry Curve 8530.

I've called Koodo to try and get it resolved I was told they were having network issues. I told them I had this problem since I bought the phone May 29. They did some softwear update thing to my phone and got me to download something else, I have yet to see a change. I'm giving it a few days to see if it gets better.

I've already spoken to a manager at Futurehop where I bought the phone and since I have the exteneded warranty thru futureshop thank god, they said they will exange it for a different model phone from Koodo. Whatever it is with this phone it's signal service sucks, ive had alot of different cell phones through different companies over the years and went with the Blackberry because I was told and read it was the way to go for a smart phone. I wouldn't recommend this phone to anyone!

Also when I bought the phone i was under the impression since I read it on the blackberry website I could still MMS like with my old phones. I was very dissapointed when I was informed through Koodo they do not allow their Blackberry's to MMS, and I think they should offer different data plans than just BB Socal and BB Connect 500mb.  maybe 50, 100, 250? I have the BB Conect because I do use the internet which I wouldn't be able to do with the Social plan. But 500mb is far more than what I need.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
RNSrobot

The MMS thing I don't get, but it's not strictly KOODO.  Telus Blackberries AFIAK do not do MMS for a reason I do not know, I've heard that they want people with data plans to use data for things like photos. So it is kind of a bummer.  Thanks for the input!

Please use plain text.
Visitor
MAMAMACHINE
My Device: Curve 8530

I just got a blackberry curve from koodo 3 days ago, and I was really happy at first, until I found out I couldn't MMS. But I dont have a data plan, and I was wondering if maybe youd know if I could get MMS if I got a data plan??

But all in all, it's a good phone. I havent had any problems with it yet, just the MMS thing really pissed me off.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Newfie
My Device: Curve 9360/7.1.0.219

I'm pretty happy with the Curve, just wish I could have MMS!!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
NRocket
My Device: Torch 9800

[ Edited ]

Just throwing it out there.

the EVDO (1XRTT) network which is the fastest speed CDMA that TELUS and Bell have been using for awhile was considered the 3G (3rd Generation technology) So they can call it 3G, but it's not the fastest out there right now. Rogers has the EDGE network which was there version of the 3G technology.

The latest network running is the HSPA (Rogers) and HSPA+ (Bell/Telus) which is considered 3.5G (They just show the 3G icon on the phone now though)

The INQ is running on the HSPA+ network which has the fastest speeds (21 mps), but the phone itself is not a fast phone. The operating system is pretty cheap which makes a good deal for the price. Majority of Koodo customers that purchased the INQ would return it for the Blackberry in a few days.

[As a side not, 4G will be on the network called LTE, it's not out yet though]

Free tips and advice
http://www.cellexpert.net
Please use plain text.