Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Latest STABLE version of desk top software

I have a Blackberry curve 8330 and currently have Desktop sofware 4.3. Is this the best version to use? Do the latest versions have any new features or revamped tools?

Thanks for any help in advance

Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810 - AT&T
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Latest STABLE version of desk top software

Without knowing your carrier, I would still say yes . I have Verizon, and the new 4.5 DM (Desktop Manager) is out, however, not with Verizon as yet. I suspect it may be another month or so before Verizon has it and we subscribers can download it to our PDA's

As far as new features: the new 4.5 will have Data Viz Word, Excel, and Powerpoint embedded in the program. This should be at no cost to  Curve owners. We will also be relieved of the Roxio Media programming. There has been so much trouble with this in moving Photos, Music etc to the media card.  All in all, the new 4.5 should be great./

Go to your carrier website to see when they will introduce it.  Good luck!

Thanks,

Writer~
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Your carrier is irrelevant. 

Go to www.Blackberry.com .  From their homepage under Blackberry Software, click on Blackberry Desktop Software.  Scroll down to where you see and click on 'Download Blackberry Desktop Software including Service Packs'.  From the Drop Menu select near the top 'Blackberry Desktop Software v4.5' and click 'NEXT'. 

Here is your REAL CHOICE:

(assuming you speak English)

You can select 'Desktop Manager 4.5.0 B16 English with Media Manager

or

You can select 'Desktop Manager 4.5.0 B16 English without Media Manager

'Media Manager' being the infamous 'ROXIO'.  If Roxio is working fine for you, then do WITH.  If not select WITHOUT.  If you do without, you can use a third party media manager (no real suggestions here), OR you can simply (with mass media mode on when you connect) copy or drag and drop files into your blackberry media card (microSD) from Windows.

I have downloaded the v4.5 and it works well.  I find that there are minor changes that helps the DM work better with VISTA.  I have also found ROXIO is still dreadfully slow, although it hasn't caused any real damage.  It just takes

for---ever to load each time I open Media Manager and to copy files to and from my phone.  It does it, just in it's own sweet time.

Message Edited by jim_me_c on 07-22-2008 09:13 PM
Regular Contributor

I am glad to hear it works for you. However,  in trying to give good advice, I think R. might run into difficulties without carrier support. Is the download you suggest Beta, or the actual 4.5. I was under the impression that it is  Beta , and the  "kinks" would be ironed out when the carrier finally introduced it.

So, having said that, if this is the final 4.5 cut, then I stand corrected. Thanks for the input.

Thanks,

Writer~
New Contributor

Can I ask what version of Outlook are you using to synch with? I downloaded version 4.5 and I am unable to get it to synch with Outlook 2007. And yes, I did uninstall the Business Contact Manager like I read in another thread and it still isn't working.
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

4.5 is no more a beta release its final version from RIM.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

Thanks for the info! Two questiona from the new kid on the block.

If I get the 4.5 Desktop Software do I  automatically get the 4.5 OS on my Curve?

Writer listed some nice features, will I be able to watch a simple webcast on my weather station for the days weather forecast. All I get is javascript errors now. I have researched that as best I can and I have the right settings.

Thanks to all for helping!

Regular Contributor

Tanz;

You are the BB Guru...

Been reading your posts and you are always right on the money!

Final version. Great. Would there be much hassle to download even though Verizon does not have the 4.5 posted as yet. I would love to get the new version. And without the Media version. Let me know. I have the Curve 8330

Thanks,

Writer~
Regular Contributor
My Device: 8310

Some people confuse the Desktop software with the Handheld software. The Desktop Software is not carrier specific. Also if you install Desktop Manager 4.5 you will not get Handheld 4.5. Desktop Manager 4.5 is not beta it is a finished release. Their are some Handheld 4.5 OS's that are still in beta, but there are a few that are released. Vodafone is an example of a carrier that has released a 4.5 Handheld software. In regards to the stability of Desktop Manager, some people have had problems with 4.3 and 4.5 some find that 4.2 sp2 to be a more stable Desktop Software. If you have anymore questions let me know.
New Contributor

Thank you all for the info, I really appreciate it!

Will the 4.5 HandHeld OS allow viewing small webcasts on the browser?

Thanks again!