Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
sid_gupta
My Device: curve 9300
My Carrier: airtel
Accepted Solution

Low application memory

when i update my system software from os 5 to os 6, my application memory has beco me very low.

how can i fix this?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Low application memory

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

You should remove any components that you don't require...languages, add-on apps you don't use, etc. If removal of those does not allow for more free AppMemory, you may instead want to perform a clean OS reload, but leaving off those things during the initial reloading process.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sid_gupta

thnx for the tip.

can you also guide on how to perform the OS reload??

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

First, you will have to dig through the official download portal for OS packages for your model:

If you simply want to re-install that which is already running, you must first then figure out what you are running and then download/install it (from the above linked portal):

• KB23393 How to check the model number and version of installed BlackBerry device software on a BlackBerry smartphone

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sid_gupta

one last small problem.

I cant figure out which OS todownload forthe clean install.

i have no idea about the original carrier os. i updated my phone directly through the desktop software.

i live in India but but my phone was manufactured here. I got it through someone.

so how do i figure out the correct version??

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Given your words of "clean install", it does not matter...you can choose any carriers OS package, as long as you do the bit about deleting the VENDOR.XML file(s). And you can choose any version number you like...I'd recommend the most recent version number you can find for your model number.

On the other hand, if you instead meant to say "clean re-install", then you'd be wanting to figure out which exact package to download. But, it still doesn't matter which carrier you choose from...as long as you choose the exact same version number that you are already running and do the bit about deleting the VENDOR.XML file(s), it should work fine.

If you don't know your BBs VendorID code, then just going ahead and always doing the bit about deleting the VENDOR.XML file(s) will allow you to not have to worry about the carrier from which you obtain an OS package.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sid_gupta

so i performed the OS re-install.

but even now, out of 250MB of Application Memory it still only shows 50MB available.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Did you remember, when you reinstalled, to leave off all of the unneeded extra things (extra languages, etc.)? Or perhaps you simply have so many add-on or 3rd party apps that you desire and are exhausting the available AppMemory. It is a careful balance of the things you must have versus the capacity of the device (which is fixed).

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sid_gupta

Yes i remember following all the steps. i did leave off the unwanted stuff.

I have very few 3rd party apps.

if we add up the memory as shown in desktop manager, the figures dont match up !!!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

AppMemory is also consumed by the core OS itself, plus data from various apps. You cannot compare as you suggest.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.