Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

Visitor
My Device: CURVE 8530
My Carrier: METRO PCS

MANUFACTURER WARRANTY FOR CURVE 8530

I BOUGHT ON BESTBUY.COM A BB CURVE 8530. AFTE 8 MONTHS OF USE, THE CELLPHONE DIED COMPLETELY,

NOW THAT I WANT TO RETURN TO BE FIXED, BB SAID I NEED AN INCIDENT NUMBER.

I CALLED BACK BEST BUY AND SAID THEY ARE OF THE LOOP, SINCE I DIDNT BUY ANY INSURANCE WITH THEM.

MY CARRIER IS A PREPAID PLAN COMPANY (METRO PCS), WHICH DOESNT HAVE ANY RESPONSABILITY ON THIS ISSUE.

I CONTACTED BB CO. AND MENTIONED THE CARRIER COMPANY MUST PROVIDE AN INCIDENT NUMBER IN ORDER TO HAVE THE WARRANTY EFECTIVE.

TECHNICALLY, BEST BUY SHOULD BE THE SOLE RESPONSIBLE IN THIS PROBLE,

PLEASE ADVICE'

FM

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: MANUFACTURER WARRANTY FOR CURVE 8530

Hi and Welcome to the Community!!

First:

Now, to your issue.

Warranty is strictly a matter between buyer and seller. Warranty terms and methods are set out at the time of device purchase. So, since Best Buy sold you your device, they are responsible for your device-level warranty. How they service that warranty is also a contractual question...they can do so directly or they can assign it to some other entity. Lastly, while BlackBerry extends a 1-year manufacturer warranty, that can be altered at the time of purchase, and that purchase contract will override the 1-year warranty that BlackBerry will support.

So, it is the purchase contract between buyer and seller that documents what the actual warranty terms and methods of usage are. Hence, if you no longer have your purchase contract documentation, then Best Buy needs to tell you specifically what your warranty terms are (e.g., 1-year, 90 days, none, etc.) and exactly how you are supposed to exercise it (through them, to BlackBerry with an incident number supplied by Best Buy, some other means). It is entirely possible that you have no warranty at this time...but, again, only the parties to the purchase contract (you and Best Buy) have any chance of knowing these answers.

From what you have reported here, I'd advise you to first find your original purchase documents and review them for the specific warranty terms and methods that apply to you. Then, if you indeed have warranty, follow the methods spelled out in those documents. If you do not have that documentation, then escalate with Best Buy and hope that they will be willing to help you out (losing your contract documents is not necessarily a good practice).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code