Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Curve™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520
My Carrier: Vodafone

MEP Code

I have had it up to here with vodafone and trying to unlock my blackberry, and the worst thing is when stores wont do it because a blackberry is too complex? well don't sell them if youy can't help customers with regards to them! 

I would like to know what the story is what an MEP code? what is it? where do I get it? and how do i unlock my phone??? 

Would be extremely grateful if someone could answer my prayers at the minute

A very agitated (soon to be ex) Vodafone Customer! 

Bree. 

Brídín Mc Ginley. x
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: MEP Code

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

First, read this helpful post:

BBs come from the factory locked to their original carrier. Unlock codes can release it and allow it to be used on other carriers. If an incorrect code is entered 10 times, the BB  becomes hard locked to it's original carrier, with only the RIM factory being able to reverse that, and the cost of that I have heard to exceed just buying a new one.

When a BB becomes "hard locked", there are a few avenues of recourse. If, for instance, the provider of the unlock code provided an incorrect code, then recourse would be with them (of course, they might say "why didn't you contact us before reaching 10?"). If you received your BB hard locked, then recourse would be with whoever you received it from...if they represented it in an otherwise condition, then they would be responsible for making good on that. Sometimes, the carriers will help out...but you seem to be having an exceptionally hard time with yours (honestly, doing the MEP code is quite simple, IMHO). RIM provides a method to, with a fee, seek support from them, but again...I've heard that this costs more than just getting a new device.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520
My Carrier: Vodafone

so basically I need to get this code from vodafone??
Brídín Mc Ginley. x
Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.840), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

They can provide it. Some carriers will provide it for free to customers in good standing. Some will not provide it. Otherwise, there are fee-based services that can provide it, which you will discover when you read the link in my prior post.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code